'Men and women are not equally suited for the same tasks' - GRE ANALYTICAL WRITING

gre_nov 1 / 4  
Hi,
I am an architecture student and plan to give my GRE in mid-NOV and wanted some review on the essay where I currently stand? what I could do to improve? and any suggestions that would be helpful to me.

Regards,
Nityaa.

ISSUE QUESTION:

Men and women, because of their inherent physical differences, are not equally suited for many tasks.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure to address the most compelling reasons and/or examples that could be used to challenge your position.

differences between men and women

Inherent physical differences between men and women do make them different to each in many ways but these characteristics don't decide their abilities to perform any task.

I believe that for any task that requires physical strength and power men can have a better ability to perform it as they are physical more strong. Well, technically they are stronger but to perform any activity, or to perform any physical task its not just important to be strong physical, you should have a high level of endurance and passion or drive to do that task. That's why may be even though according to popular view, women seem not cut out for a politician or police officer's job, women like Indira Gandhi, Pratibha Patil and Kiran Bedi have proved them wrong by not only sustaining in those professions but also creating a niche for themselves there. Here, I don't intend to prove that women are far superior to men but what I intend to say is that passion and desire to do something always pushes us to do things that by popular demand seem impossible to be achieved.

Another popular believe is that only women are suitable for professions like child care, nursing or even cooking for that matter but many examples in the recent past have shown that it's not just the women who are gentle, caring and elegant enough to perform such activities but people like Gary Mehigan, George Columbaris and James Durham who in their respective professions have created a place for themselves and in turn earned a lot of respect.

In conclusion, I would like to say that physical difference do make us capable of doing a few activities naturally and are not the criteria based on which an individuals' capability to perform a task should be judged because passion towards that task, determination to complete it and desire to succeed can surpass all these inherent differences and help an individual achieve anything he/she wants.
S_avanthika 1 / 2  
Hi,

Even though it has been days since i have worked on GRE essays, i am quite sure that an issue would require proper introduction followed by body paragraphs like around 3 and a suitable conclusion which needs to be concurrent with your initial para. Also statements like

"That's why may be even though according to popular view, women seem not cut out for a politician or police officer's job, women like Indira Gandhi, Pratibha Patil and Kiran Bedi have proved them wrong by not only sustaining in those professions but also creating a niche for themselves there."

seems to be confusing and you might have to revisit on them. try to avoid such stmts during your exam and Please dont hesitate to break complex sentences as they tend to misguide the readers on the message conveyed.

Thanks,
Avanthi
OP gre_nov 1 / 4  
thanks avantika....
Ill go through the essay again and try to incorporate the suggestions

Home / Writing Feedback / 'Men and women are not equally suited for the same tasks' - GRE ANALYTICAL WRITING