Modern communications mean that it's no longer necessary to write letters

fadhilmd25 41 / 75 11  
Modern communications mean that it's no longer necessary to write letters.
To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?
Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.

In the past, letter is the main way to communicate with each other before telephone exist. I strongly disagree that the invention of telephone is replacing the function of letter, instead it enhances the use of writing letter by providing immediate response from recipient and reduce the cost to deliver message as the letter is only use to address formal occasion these days.

It is true that writing letters is not occurred these days, necessarily to submit formal purpose. Those official reasons require letters as the old-fashioned way is important to prove the document legally according to law. As a result, writing letter is still valuable even if the modernization in communication is exist. This has been proved by the research of documents related to authorization from president to cabinets since old days until present days, which use formal letter rather than letter typed with computers. Even though the occurrence of using letter is still present, I completely think that replacement to computerized communication take less time to receive answer during daily conversation with other people and the cost of delivery will be cut down drastically.

With purpose of shifting the habit of writing letter to updated communication, there are two benefits of this change. The means of writing letter does not replace by modern communication, instead it is modified to increase efficiency of time consuming in waiting the response from recipient. Online chatting is one example which show how the message can be improved by narrowing time need responses, which is necessary to make fast decision, for instance, the conducting heart resuscitation by nurses when doctor is not in hospital can be done through phone call at that moment. Another thing that worth to upgrade the habit of writing letter is cutting fees of delivering the letter, which implement in modern communication. It is undeniable that price to send a letter is quite expensive compared to online chat. By improving it to online chat, the budget of sending letter can be drastically reduced even though the price of smartphone is costlier than sending letter. So, the means of writing letter gets modified to developed communication in terms of time required to send the message as well as the delivery cost.

All in all, it is generally not acceptable that the means of writing has been changed in formal way, however it gets modified to efficiently decrease time required and money spent to send the message.
Fadhil, due to the gravity of the confusion caused by the way you developed your essay, I do not believe it would score anything higher than a 4 in an actual test setting. The flow of thought in your essay is hard to follow and does not seem to properly represent the prompt in some instances. This is an error that could have been forced by your responding in English in a manner similar to the way you would form the sentence in your vernacular language. Often, these simple translations can cause difficulties for the reader who has to try and figure out what you are trying to say.

You concentrated on the telephone as the mode of communication replacing letter writing. This is an error on your part because the prompt was asking you to discuss modes of modern communication. So it isn't just about the telephone. It is also about emails, texting, tweeting, messaging, and other related communication methods. By concentrating on one mode of communication, you limited your discussion and ability to properly discuss the essay. The essay was expecting you to discuss the prompt in general, not in specific terms.

Home / Writing Feedback / Modern communications mean that it's no longer necessary to write letters