Short Essay on Modern day televison watching.

akern 4 / 10  
Watching television is a culture of today's modern society. Being the favorite past time of many people, it cuts across culture, creed, gender and age. In the exciting world of television, something is available for every hard to please couch potato. We can tune in anywhere from reality shows and music videos to documentary's and dramas. One thing is for certain: With the advent of modern technology, television watching is now easier and more enjoyable than ever.

We have all at some time or another missed a show we wanted to see. The hustle and bustle of a fast paced existence eats hours out of our days. Ten years ago, if you knew you would not be able to catch the latest episode of "Friends", you would begin the excruciating task of programming the VCR. Accomplishing this amazing headache inducing feat required a degree in Sony-ology. Digital Video Recorders (DVR's) eliminate all of this and more. In mere seconds, you can set up a show to record once or an entire season. With a DVR you can pause, rewind or fast forward through entire sets of snore producing commercials. By eliminating the time viewing commercials, you can save at least twenty valuable minutes per one hour program. A DVR allows you the freedom to watch anything you want, anytime you want. In the event you just can't get enough of those Lifetime movies, consider Netflix.

This online movie rental service stocks nearly every title available on DVD allowing subscribers to rent as many DVD's they want, and keep them for as long as they want. The DVD's get delivered at no extra cost to you through the United States Postal Service from several distribution centers located throughout the U.S. Most titles can be delivered within one business day. Netflix rapidly evolved into America's favorite time saving, commercial eradicator. It's not just some hip new teenage lingo you try to throw into your water cooler conversations, Netflix is a viable time and money saving entertainment experience. Just think about the time you will save by not having to drive to your local video rental only to find the movie you had your heart set on cannot be obtained. Also as a subscriber to Nettle you will never pay any late fees.

Today the High Definition revolution is upon us, forever changing the way we enjoy our favorite past time. A televised sporting event in HDTV far surpasses the experience of attending the game in person any day of the week. No more missing key plays from the nosebleed section and paying eight dollars for a hotdog. HDTV enhances every pressure packed situation making you feel like a part of the game. Shows like Planet Earth on the Discovery channel offer many awe inspiring views ranging from cityscapes to mountain ranges. No earthly habitat is left uncovered and can be seen from every unimaginable angle.

Every day millions of people turn to their televisions to escape the pressures and stress of everyday life. Bounding increases in technology have made the television an integral part of every household. HDTV provides crystal clear panoramas that dazzle the senses. With tools like Digital Video Recorders and Netflix, a relaxing evening of television can now be obtained conveniently and hassle free.

Any help on how to make this better or feedback in any form. Thanks in advance.
"Watching television is a cultural practice of people in today's modern society"

"hard-to-please couch potato."

"you would begin the excruciating task of programming the VCR. Accomplishing this amazing headache inducing feat required a degree in Sony-ology" Excellent job!

Overall this essay is well-written. You may want to work on tying everything together a bit more, transition-wise. You go from talking about DVRs, to Netflix, to HDTV, which are all new developments in television-related technologies, but which you could presumably discuss in any order. So, if you could come up with a justification for discussing them in the order you choose, or draw attention to some connections between them, that would help. You could also mention services like bittorrent, which allow you to download any episode of any popular television series to watch, without ads, whenever you like, for free, unless you are trying to avoid including legally questionable services in your essay.
OP akern 4 / 10  
Thanks for the feedback. I am having a difficult time with my transitioning. I gave it a shot in the first paragraph and fell flat on the other two.
Well, think about how the different technologies affect each other. For instance, are DVRs and Netflix both part of move away from television viewing in the traditional sense, in which people sit down at predetermined times to watch predetermined shows littered with ads. Or is it the case that people will now demand to be able watch what they want, when then want, without having their program interrupted by commercials trying to sell them stuff they don't want? Can HDTV been seen as an attempt to counter this by adding value to television's main product? IF you can find some ways in which your points are connected, then writing the transitions becomes relatively easy.
YES! That is a great way to explain it: Find the way your points are interconnected, and the transitions, intro, and conclusion become not only easy, but also meaningful.

I look for your main point, just like anyone would if you were saying this stuff in conversation, and it seems that you are just describing TV watching. What can you say that is more meaningful. Can you go through this one more time to make it so that all these points support a common idea? Maybe the main theme here is that TV is somehow SYMBOLIC of the modernization of society. Maybe your argument is that TV watching is a meaningful, collaborative human activity that has come a long way since the invention of the thing...

Also, this sentence is weird:

Watching television is a culture of today's modern society.

I see that Sean already fixed it, but really, it is a statement of the obvious. Use that space to write your main point about TV, your interesting, cool theme for the essay.

Home / Writing Feedback / Short Essay on Modern day televison watching.