IELTS GT Writing Task 2 - Modern technology. Comment (test date approaching soon)

bumblebee 2 / 7  
Some universities offer online courses as an alternative to classes delivered on campus. Do you think this is a positive or negative development?

brand new learning method

Modern technology has dramatically changed the way we live today. Among all, students nowadays may no longer need to physically attend courses at university; instead they can choose to study at home via their computers. I believe this new learning method has brought a lot of advantages to the students.

Firstly, computer-based study is beneficial to those less wealthy students who cannot afford to study abroad yet wish to take a certain course offered by an oversea university. For example, in my home country Malaysia, many students lost the opportunities to study abroad during the economic crisis. As a result, they took online courses as alternative in order to complete their bachelor or master degrees. It is obvious that the availability of online courses has enabled students to achieve equally higher educational qualifications, thus making them more competitive candidates during job searching.

Secondly, computer-based study provides greater flexibility to students especially those who face time limitation. For instance, there are students who live far away from the university campus, so instead of spending hours traveling to the university campus, they can opt to study online and dedicate more time to self study. There are also students who need to work part time in order to earn their tuition fees or gain extra pocket money. For these students, online courses allow them to plan their own schedule thus enabling them work and study simultaneously.

Computer-based study has introduced a brand new learning method for students who wish to further their studies. As seen above, I firmly believe that it has more merits and should be encouraged as an alternative to formal classes.
Fab 3 / 5 5  
Bumblebee I think you essay as pretty good contents and I think you clearly answered the prompt given, with good examples to justify your opinions.

I just don't really like the ending with the formula "As seen above". I feel it would sound better if you summarized your final thoughts in a different way. Maybe something like "For these reasons that I mentioned I believe that...". I think it would have more impact if you rephrased it!

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS GT Writing Task 2 - Modern technology. Comment (test date approaching soon)