Home / Writing Feedback   % width NEW!

IN MODERN WORLD, THE IMAGE IS BECOMING A MORE POWERFUL WAY OF COMMUNICATING THAN THE WRITTEN WORD

malenitass 1 / 1  
Hello¡ I am applying to a College program in Canada, and how English is not my first language, I need to take an English test (reading and writing).

In Argentina, schools do not use essays as an educational tool, and for that reason, it is the first time I write essays. I practice every day to improve my writing skills. Feel free to comment on my mistakes
.

TOPIC: In the modern world, the image (photograph or film) is becoming a more powerful way of communicating than the written word. To what extent do you agree or disagree?

Although I understand how easy is to think that the image phenomenon is something new with the Instagram revolution or with Pinterest accumulating new fans; in my opinion, that phenomenon is so old a the human history.

As a visual art professional, I agree with the statement absolutely, but I do not think that was a modern influence. It is clear for me because I am studied Art History for almost ten years and if you think in the first humanity registers _fisic registers_ you can understand my hypothesis.

Before the writing how we know, the human _the primitive human_ left us draws about their lives. Since those years, the human prefers the image to share his legacy.

In the Altamira or Lascaux caves, the men used those walls for paint that they observed. Thanks to that, today we know about the prehistory and how they lived.

After that, the Ancient Egipt Art reflected the rigidly hierarchical society from which it developed. Always derived the image. Furthermore, after Writing History, if we want to know how was the society before the Modern Times just need to study our Art History _ the visual Human History_.

Art History contains all of the details about the society, the economy, the life-style also the beauty canons; consequently, is the image the most powerful way of communication than the written. It has been that way for more years that we can think, not is a modern phenomenon.

The image has been used for politics interests in Hitler´s Germany. They used posters with suggestive images as a political campaign. Also, in the Russian Revolution used images for their messages. The revolution´s posters provide a graphic insight into important aspects of our culture. The image can manipulate reality and society. That is why politics use it for their interests.

Mexico, in the first decades of the twenty century, lived a big revolution _social, artistic and politic revolution_ and used the power of the image for moves their "pueblo." Diego Rivera and other artists used their art to yell loudly to the world their realities and their claims.

Always all content that includes visual information registers better results. The human has the capacity to retain visual content than any other kind of information.

For that reason today more than ever, the image is used for all kind of purpose. An image is a powerful tool with many risks, just remember the Charlie Hebdo massacre. The image can be a weapon if you do not use carefully.

One image can be artistic, suggestive, pragmatic, confuse, subversive, erotic or educative at the same time. The image meaning depends to the recipient.

I can talk for hours about Art History and how the image always is the most powerful way of communication than the written, but maybe I should use an image for that purpose and not an essay. My mistake.

Home / Writing Feedback / IN MODERN WORLD, THE IMAGE IS BECOMING A MORE POWERFUL WAY OF COMMUNICATING THAN THE WRITTEN WORD