Home / Writing Feedback   % width NEW!

Modern young people are more able to choose their own lives, than it was in the past

peggyliu 1 / -  
Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?In the past, young people depended too much on their parents to make decisions for them; today young people are better able to make decisions about their own lives.Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

a decision regarding the future for youngsters

Some people consider that modern young people are more able to choose their own lives, but others reckon that the young do not have the chance to make their own decision. In point of view, I disagree with the statement that today young people are better able to make decisions about their own lives. I will offer several reasons to support my aspect.

To begin with, those parents from the past who depend on their parents' suggestion achieve the success nowadays, so they convince that their children must follow their ideas. Take me for example, my parents listen to my grandparents, so their careers are successful and earned lots of money, so they always want me to follow their rules. When I chose History for my major, my parents argued drastically, because they considered that those who study history cannot survive themselves. I was tired of quarrel, so I changed my history major to statistics major. Hence, I cannot believe that modern people are better to make their decision.

Moreover, parents are afraid of their children that will lose their life, so they will make the decision that they consider is helpful. For instance, when I changed history major to statistics major, I asked them why they insisted me to change my major. They replied that the major that was more scientific can find the job easily. They said it was harder to find a suitable job nowadays, since lots of people graduated from colleges, so it was better to study a major that could help me in the future. Hence, the young do not have more chance to determine their own lives.

Finally, most young people do not know what to in the future, so it is an appropriate way to listen to parents' arrangements. For example, my brother did not know what to do in the future and he did not have any interest in any major, so he listened to my parents and studied in finance, and then worked in the bank. Consequently, one of the reasons that the young nowadays are not able to make their own decisions for their future is they do not know what can motivate them.

In conclusion, I refute the statement that the young people are better to determine their future since parents want children to follow their rules and they do not their children lose in the future. Additionally, young people are not sure what they want in the future, so it is necessary to find the life goal.

Home / Writing Feedback / Modern young people are more able to choose their own lives, than it was in the past