What Morrow has to say about writing history; Essay for Time Magzine article

ldixon 8 / 3  
I have to write an essay on the article above. Here are the instructions:

Here is a 'Time' magazine essay by file critic Lance Morrow about the film JFK as "history." What does Morrow have to say about the writing of history? About who defines history? About what happens when artists like Oliver Stone use "public events as raw material," when artists "have taken history into theiir imaginations and transformed it"?

Write an essay in which you explain what Morrow has to say about writing history. Begin with an account of what you think are the key issues in his article. WHat does Morrow think is at stake when an artist "distorts" or "transforms" history?

Then, finish your essay by addressing these questions: where do you, as someone who has studied history, stand on this issue? What difference does it make to you?

Can you please give me some advise on how to start this?

Here is what I have so far:

Morrow on Writing History

According to Lance Morrow one must sort through the writings of history to determine what is factual and what is propaganda. He believes that once factual history dies with the past artists create their own vision of it. They let their imaginations run wild recreating the triumphs, tragedies, and conspiracies of the world for entertainment. Although Morrow believes that the writing of history is art, he thinks that when artist distort it with their imaginations. These illusions of art have a negative effect on the younger generations, in which their ideas are mislead.

History plays an important role in society for "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" (Santayana 284). If history is tampered with there
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Good evening.

It seems like you have started out the essay by identifying the key points of this author's article, which is what the prompt asks you to do. I think you're on the right track with the beginning of the second paragraph. Using examples to support your assertions will help you in this essay; just make sure that you are citing them properly (which it seems you are). Make sure that you keep the first part of the essay as fact backed up by the article and other research sources, but the second part can be your opinion. To make sure your opinion remains credible, try to find as many other sources as you can to help you make your point.

Good luck!

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com
OP ldixon 8 / 3  
Here is what I have so far, it someone could please peer edit and give suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. I don't think I have fully ended it yet, but I am stuck right now.

The Time Magazine essay written by Lance Morrow gives a personal analysis on how and why artists are transforming history. In addition, it explains the effects that these transformations have on the future generations. Although Morrow believes that this transformation of history is art, he feels that it presents a false portrayal of the true events that transpired.

Consequently, one must sort through the writings of history to determine what is factual and what is propaganda. Once the factual history disappears with the past, artists recreate their own version, which is usually biased. They let their imaginations run wild recreating the triumphs, tragedies, and conspiracies of the world all for entertainment. Unfortunately, each time an artist recreates an event through their imagination, the history ends up changing. Therefore, it is the artists actually defining history instead of the witnesses and participants. As a result, misconceptions form about how the events really occurred.

History is nothing more than an explanation to the events that have occurred over time. These explanations grow like branches, different sizes, shapes, and directions with no two of them identical. Thus, it's almost impossible to distinguish fact from fiction when multiple explanations are prevalent. History plays an important role in society for "those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" (Santayana 284). Future generations depend on history for guidance.

Home / Writing Feedback / What Morrow has to say about writing history; Essay for Time Magzine article