The Mosquito: A look into the Teacher's responsibility in a student's everyday life.

bigmatt267 1 / -  
The Mosquito:
A look into the Teacher's responsibility in a student's everyday life. `

Life for me was not easy growing up. I hadn't been born deaf, but wore hearing aids since I was 3 years old. School wasn't hard to keep up with, I am pretty smart if I do say so myself! I had some good teachers, some bad, and some just downright wicked. While I pondered which teacher had a definite impact on my outlook at education, it would be Mrs. Stidham, my fourth grade teacher.

I had just moved from Shannon, Alabama, leaving behind all my friends and the only place I had ever lived and known, to Trussville, only 20 miles away. 20 miles away seemed to me vast, with a gaping chasm of nothingness that only a child's mind could conceive. But hey, that's life.

I don't remember my first day of school, but I am sure that it was the usual, "Hey! How was your summer?", "Neat haircut!" But I wasn't privy to these conversations, being the new kid, so I just settled down and found a seat in my new classroom. Right away, I did not like my new teacher, must have been some chemical imbalance, and I wasn't the only one. We all had a nickname for her, The Mosquito. She was always floating around the classroom and hissing insults that stings, and nobody else can hear, but her and an unfortunate child. That's how it went for the next 6 months.

One day, we had an assignment, a report on places of employment. Mine was a Zookeeper. I was sure that I had done a good job, and was confident and proud of my work that took two weeks of research and writing to complete. The day after we turned in our assignments, she handed me my report, and I had a "F" letter grade, followed up with an annotation stating that I would never be a zookeeper.

Sometimes I don't think that teachers realize the impact that they have on a child's learning. When Mrs. Stidham insulted me with a bad grade and took no considerations of my hard work, I privately told myself: "I will show her, I'll become a zookeeper, I'll show her good!" Of course I never became a zookeeper, but it did motivate me to work hard and have great work ethics.

A teacher is often times the first adult that a child meets every day, other than their parents, and learns to trust and depend on them for guidance. This is a very important role that the teacher plays in the relationship, and helps assemble the building blocks of everyday life. The teacher's attitude is also an important thing to consider. Obviously, like Mrs. Stidham's "mean behavior", while maybe not intentional, had a definitive impact on several 11-12 year olds minds, and their outlook on education. To quote an unknown author: "It's not only a teacher's actions that can influence a child, but also the way that they communicate and express themselves. Children are often sensitive to tone of voice, gestures, and facial expressions."

One should look into the mirror, before going out into the world to teach!
______________
nad the footnote is included on my word doc for the quote. thanks for readind. this is my first essay!
While I pondered which teacher had a definite impact on my outlook on education, it would be Mrs. Stidham, my fourth grade teacher.

Right away, I did not like my new teacher, it might have been some chemical imbalance, and I wasn't the only one.

She was always floating around the classroom and hissing insults that stung , and nobody else could hear, but her and an unfortunate child.

...and I had a "F" letter grade, followed up with an annotation stating that I would never be a zookeeper.---what a mean, sad excuse for a teacher!

Obviously, like Mrs. Stidham's "mean behavior", while maybe not intentional, had a definitive impact on several 11-12 year old's minds, and their outlook on education.

Good luck in school and have fun!

:)

Home / Writing Feedback / The Mosquito: A look into the Teacher's responsibility in a student's everyday life.