Home / Writing Feedback   % width NEW!

Movie review essay "The Pursuit of Happyness"

ldixon 8 / 3  
Please look this over for me and tell me what you think. I would appreciate any changes in grammer or content.

In the Declaration of Independence, Thomas Jefferson mentions "the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." What did Thomas Jefferson mean by "the pursuit of happiness?" Is happiness something that one can pursue? Fortunately, the movie "The Pursuit of Happyness," reveals the answers to these questions through a touching story of how far one man goes to provide for his family.

Recently I had the pleasure of viewing, "The Pursuit of Happiness," a film directed by Gabriele Muccino and written by Steve Conrad. The film has been available since December 15, 2006, so I was able to view it from the comforts of my own home. The movie has a PG-13 rating due to some mild language and violence, but I think it could have been borderline PG. The main character, Chris Gardner is played by actor Will Smith, who has also starred in many other blockbuster hits such as "Bad Boys," "Hancock," "Men in Black," "I am Legend," and "I-Robot". In addition, the movie casts Will Smith's son Jaden Smith, who plays the son that Chris vows to take care of. Inspired by the true story of Chris Gardner, this movie drama depicts a man who relentlessly struggles to support his family. After losing his wife and home, Chris endlessly pursues happiness. Will Chris rise from destitution to riches?

The movie, just shy of two hours long, takes place in San-Fransisco during the year1981. Chris, a struggling sales man, tries to support his family, but is not having much success. He attempts to make things good, but they always end up worse. His wife finally cracks and leaves taking their son with her. Chris's son means more to him than anything in the world, which is why his wife decides to let their son stay with him. One day while walking down the street Chris runs into a guy getting out of a red Ferrari, in which he asked him what he does for a living. The man tells him that he is a stockbroker and works for Dean-Witten. From there on out, Chris pursues an internship as a stockbroker hoping to land a full time position. The only problem is that the internship has no salary, so he has to sell some of his medical scanners in order for his son and him to survive. Does Chris and his son make it after being evicted our of two apartments, having the IRS take almost all the money out of his account, and sleeping wherever they could? I cannot tell you, but one thing is for sure, this movie is definitely worth renting, so kick up your feet, set back in your recliner, and enjoy two hours of heartwarming emotion.

Will Smith was the producer of this movie, which did not surprise me since he has produced many of his own movies. The thing that I found interesting was the way he used his own son in the story. I think that this greatly added to the plot, because they were so natural together. There is one seen where Chris makes up an imaginary game with his son to hide the reality of sleeping in a subway bathroom. This particular part was an excellent example of the acting talents of Will Smith, because it truly made you fell sad.

Since the first time I watched Will Smith on the TV show "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air," I instantly became a fan. His acting talents are superb, always resulting in a great film. I have watched all of Will Smith's movies and have never been disappointed. Will Smith is a great actor and in this movie, his acting turns a mediocre story into a masterpiece. The makeup crew also did a great job of quickly aging Will's character to portray the stress he was going through.

Although this movie lacks the fast paced action, special effects, and no stop comedy that will keep you laughing all night, it will definitely have you feeling happy, sad, and then happy again. In a rating scale of one to ten, I would give this movie an eight. If I was a big drama fan I would probably give the movie a ten, but it was not really my forte.

Home / Writing Feedback / Movie review essay "The Pursuit of Happyness"