Essay about Moving Image Technique in Advertising and Virtual Photography

cvani 3 / 29  
hello all, I have to submit an assignmnet which is an essay about moving image technique in 2 different fields advertising and virtual photography. I still have to add a lot but this is a start. since it is a 2500 words essay i am really falling short of words. also its getting a bit difficult for me to explain about what i want to write. i hope i could get some valuable help. thanks.

Also i am explaning about a particular advert and a photograph i guess understanding the essay might be a bit confusing. i'm not sure if i am allowed to post the website links here so i didn't.

As John Wyver, 1989 says moving images have delighted and fascinated people all over the world for many centuries. From the first flickering pictures to today's computer generated images there has been an extraordinary technological advances in cinema. Moving images entertain us and also influence us. They offer a fresh perspective on the way we see ourselves and others. But why is moving image always associated with film or cinema? A film can be a sequence of still images running one after another. So it proves that a moving image does not necessarily portray a physical movement. The depiction of surrealism in a realistic manner can be treated as a moving image. Dreams and imaginations are not real but they are still moving images inside our heads. In this digital world a moving image is also considered as a medium which gives an illusion of movement emotionally and intellectually. Virtual Photography is the area where the moving image technique has been used which gives a feel of emotional movement. Advertising is another area where the technique is used in its conventional manner which is producing short clips or videos.

The video based advertisement in itself is a moving image. Advertising is a way of marketing brands or products and communicating with the audience. The big budget "Smirnoff Sea" commercial is an example which makes use of the digital technology. The 60 seconds commercial won various awards including best commercial and visual effects in a commercial. The highlight of this commercial is its visual effects mainly created using the 3D software packages like Houdini and Flame. It is a combination of live action and computer generated shots.

It is a mixture of traditional visual effects - sea, splashes, large volumes of objects raining out of the air, a strong lighting component, modeling and animation. The emerging of different objects out of the sea is a particle simulation in Houdini. The 3D models of battleship, spitfires, a Lancaster bomber, Spanish galleons, Viking long ship and numerous smaller bits were created.

The first scene of the 'Sea' sets the tone perfectly for one of the most spectacular commercials. Sea presents the viewer with a series of brief shots and tableaux both bizarre and awe-inspiring.

Was it worth spending 5,000,000 pounds in a commercial? Why would they implement such high profile effects? There is a phrase in India - "The more you sell yourself the more buyers you get". One of the main reasons is to entertain the viewers. Advertising is about competing in the market and trying to make your product the best. So how effectively can I sell my product is the question that spins around the heads of all brand owners. Therefore using a different medium which is powerful and popular is necessary/important.

Advertising is also about bringing people to notice changes and special offers which this commercial clearly does. To launch the new "Smirnoff Vodka" which is ten times filtered and triple distilled is another reason why this advertisement demands those visual effects. The aim is to further increase consumer awareness of the quality and purity credentials of Smirnoff as well as to drive growth of the vodka category. The story and creativity plays a vital role in any advetisement. They create an impact of the product in a way which the viewers would never imagine. Consumers can interact with a 'Smirnoff Purifier' to blast discarded items from the sea and onto a target on the shore. Smirnoff is perceived by more than 3-quarters of consumers to be the highest quality vodka and with this advert they found an innovative way to highlight the extra ordinary lengths it goes through to achieve its purity.

Virtual Photography is the amalgamation of art and science. It is based on a theory of PHSColograms. The term PHSCologram coined in 1983 by Ellen Sandor is an acronym for photography, holography, sculpture and computer graphics (pronounced skol-o-gram). In this technique, a number of images are photographed each from a slightly different angle of view. All these rendered views of a virtual scene are digitally combined which includes the first line of every image. The process continues till a single image is formed. This blurring of images into a single piece is attached to a line screen. A black piece of film with corresponding clear lines is affixed to a piece of Plexiglas and allows a viewer to interpret the digital photograph as a three-dimensional sculptural object when backlit.

Ellen Sandor formed (art)n group which produces PHSColograms. She says "Virtual Photography is a marriage of art and science". People in (art)n believe that Virtual Photography does not limit itself for just creating appealing three dimensional pictures. It is also an experiment of producing a new form of art. They have experimented with different subjects like tribute to artists to virtual portraits, science as art, visual history, video game culture etc. They have been successful for elegantly portraying the virtual world for future generations. PHSColograms have also been called the daguerreo type of Virtual Reality. (art)n's body of work create hybrid high tech digital sculptures embodying a new way of seeing, thinking and creating a framework for the digital domain, in multiple dimensions and multiple media, across disciplinary cultures and timelines.

The (art)n artists inspired by the above design of Bruce Goff of a nondenominational chapel at the University of Oklahoma. They turned the chapel into the following picture using the PHSCologram technique.

The technique used took the original picture in a new dimension. The various bits of prism advancing out into space give a feel of motion. Refraction of light and reflection colour break up the serene environment and awaken it with new energy. A two dimensional picture is turned into a realistic three dimensional version. Comparing the two images, the digitized version looks much more lively and meaningful. If the modern picture is closely observed, the pieces of prism look like solid objects flying in the air. The use of colours gave it a new life and a strong visual impact. The perception of every individual may change but everyone would feel a sense of motion and illusion of depth. It has over turned the concept of traditional photography.
Ellen Sandor formed (art)n group which produces------ what is this? a typo?

i'm not sure if i am allowed to post the website links here so i didn't.

You can if necessary! Just do not post content that is not original.
:-)
Links are okay, though...

As John Wyver, 1989 says moving images have delighted and fascinated people all over the world for many centuries.

If this is a direct quote, put it in " " marks. If it is not a direct quote, you really do not need to cite someone for a statement so obvious. So... maybe you should start by saying that moving images have delighted people for centuries, but then give a direct quote by Wyver to support your claim.

You write well, but the first paragraph ends in a weak way. ----> Virtual Photography is the area where the moving image technique has been used which gives a feel of emotional movement. Advertising is another area where the technique is used in its conventional manner which is producing short clips or videos. --- do not end the first para of an essay with a sentence that tells, "XXXX is another..." This part of the essay, at the end of the first para, is where you make it clear to the reader what your main point is.

Writing is art, so it does not always have to be this way, but in this case I think it will help a lot to have a strong thesis statement there at the end of the first para.
OP cvani 3 / 29  
thank you kevin. I am not a good writer so its gets really difficult for me to write what i want and where.
if we just talk abt the first para then like you said its better if i don't mention the author's name and rather reference him. my main point of the essay is to discuss moving image technique in two different fields so that was the reason i wrote about both areas which wud be further discussed. so i shud add one more line after that but i'm not sure what exactly i shud write. I'd think of something.

"Moving images have delighted and fascinated people all over the world for many centuries. From the first flickering pictures to today's computer generated images there has been an extraordinary technological advances in cinema. Moving images entertain us and also influence us. They offer a fresh perspective on the way we see ourselves and others. But why is moving image always associated with film or cinema? A film can be a sequence of still images running one after another. So it proves that a moving image does not necessarily portray a physical movement. The depiction of surrealism in a realistic manner can be treated as a moving image. Dreams and imaginations are not real but they are still moving images inside our heads. In this digital world a moving image is also considered as a medium which gives an illusion of movement emotionally and intellectually. Virtual Photography is the area where the moving image technique has been used which gives a feel of emotional movement. Advertising is another area where the technique is used in its conventional manner which is producing short clips or videos."

for the 2nd last para its should be:
"Ellen Sandor formed a group called (art)n which produces PHSColograms."

thanks again. I would add more content and post it again with the web links where the video and virtual photography are located.
So what is that group called? It is called art (n)? That is strange with the parentheses...

Be careful here: "There have been ----> advances (plural)"
"Moving images have delighted and fascinated people all over the world for many centuries. From the first flickering pictures to today's computer generated images there has have been an extraordinary technological advances in cinema. Moving images entertain us and also influence us.

And a perspective is already the way we see something, so you should cross out part of this:
They offer a fresh perspective on the way we see ourselves and others. But why is moving image always associated with film or cinema? A film can be...

:-)

Home / Writing Feedback / Essay about Moving Image Technique in Advertising and Virtual Photography