IELTS essay about Multitasking, problems and solutions

gabbie 9 / 19 3  
In the modern world, many people tend to multitask. What problems might this cause ? Suggest some ways to overcome it.

Multitasking is sometimes hailed by most people as a welcome skill. However, performing several tasks at once can lead to many problems. In this essay, I will discuss some of these problems and recommend remedial helps to overcome it.

To begin with, it is often argued that working on several tasks simultaneously adversely affect young people's performance at university and in the workplace. Clearly when people are juggling a large array of gadgets as they study, while surfing the net, sending emails or listening to music, they might lose the concentration required to adequately complete one item. As a result, they are not able to perform well their work, for example, making mistakes in the business report. Another serious implication of being able to multitask is that it could possibly take a toll on the way the families themselves function. Since young adults nowadays are too self-absorbed and wrapped up in their isolated world with electrical devices, they hardly interact with other family members or eat at the family table. Indeed, this may harm the family attachment.

Nevertheless, there are some sufficient measures to tackle this issue. First of all, making a list-to-do jobs then prioritizing them will enable you to accomplish all the tasks with productivity and avoid missing any items. It also prevents you from excessive stimulation that bombards you on a daily basis. Furthermore, people should take control over technology, which means they should refrain modern gadgets like Ipad and checking emails all the time while they are studying and working.

In conclusion, multitasking might pose many negative effects that impair people's lives. I firmly believe that, among various solutions, each individuals will have their own approaches to resolve this issue.
MisterWandering 18 / 321 130  
Multitasking is sometimes hailed by most people as a welcome skill

This sentence sounds confusing to me. What do you mean by "a welcome skill"?

overcome it them.

it is often argued that

You can omit this part.

gadgets

tasks

adversely affect young people's performance at university and in the workplace

adversely affect productivity, for example, poor performance at university or at work.

As a result, they are not able to perform well their work, for example, making mistakes in the business report.

As you start your sentence with "As a result", this sentence should be a consequence of the previous sentence. However, your previous sentence is about multitasking while studying, whereas this sentence is about the effect of multitasking on working performance.

Another serious implication of being able to multitask is that

In addition,

young adults nowadays are too self-absorbed and wrapped up in their isolated world with electrical devices

I think that this example is not quite relevant to the topic.

sufficient measures

"Sufficient" is the wrong word. It means "adequate" or "enough".

this issue

these issues

making a list-to-do jobs then prioritizing them

preparing a to-do list and then prioritizing the tasks

each individuals

each individual
OP gabbie 9 / 19 3  
Thanks for your correction :)

1, according to Oxford Dictionary :"welcome ( adjective ) : that you are pleased to have, receive, etc". I mean multitasking is an ability that most people want to have in the modern world.

2, So if i replace "study" in the previous sentence by "work" to make it logical. Is it okay ?
3, The supporting idea young adults are too self-absorbed and wrapped up in their isolated world with electrical devices is i want to refer to media multitasking. For example, teenagers constantly stay in their own room playing video games, surfing the net, texting messages. This reduces face-to-face conversations with parent and make them less sociable, thus harm family attachment

Could you give me another way to express this view ?
MisterWandering 18 / 321 130  
1.

multitasking is an ability that most people want to have in the modern world.

This sentence is more meaningful and you could use it instead of the former one.
This is my suggestion: The fast-paced modern world has led to the growing need of people for handling many tasks simultaneously. While multitasking may cause several problems, they could certainly be tackled by some measures.

2. Yes. The coherence of your essay is really important.
3. I don't think this example is convincing enough since it is more about the impact of spending too much time on some activities related to modern devices than performing many tasks at the same time.

teenagers constantly stay in their own room playing video games, surfing the net, texting messages

Also, this doesn't sound like multitasking to me.
Hope this helps!

... you take a grand start. However, it is good to avoid the last sentence as it does not add value much to your flow. As per the prompt, the reader anyway expects you to do that.

You have very good writing skills. If you managed to complete this essay within the time allocated for this task,then you really don't have to worry about this task :)

Good Luck with IELTS!
OP gabbie 9 / 19 3  
Thank so much ! This is really helpful for me :). Because i'm going to sit for the IELTS exam at the end of this month

I used to learn vocabulary that is quite similar to that of SAT such as : inimical ( harmful ), incontrovertible ( beyond doubt ), dexterous ( skillful ), etc. In addition, i had to learn by heart many stereotyped templates such as : "X has sparked bitter controversy all over the world", "This issue is such a double-edged sword", "what about its downside on the flip sides, X is seriously under siege for some grounds" and so on. My teacher always encourages me to use them in IELTS writing task 2 to get high score and impress examiners. However, these drive me crazy because i find it extremely hard to remember these words and phrases and sometimes i used them not accurately but i did not know. It is interestingly the case that all the examples about hackneyed phrases such as : last but not least, first and foremost, with the development of ... are widely used by me and other candidates. I used them frequently in most of my essays before. After wasting much money and time in some IELTS preparation courses ( they advertise the course as "intensive 7+" or "advanced IELTS" blah blah ), i feel that i have had a bad strategy to take IELTS exam. Besides wrong methods, my tutors did not check and revise my writing thoroughly. They only commented "Good", "Not bad", "Great vocab" or things like that at the end of each essay but not analyse my strength or my weakness in order for fix it. I think that creating an account on this forum then posting essays is one of my wisest choice as my writing sill has been improved a lot. All of you did a great job, wish you success, luck and happiness in lives.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS essay about Multitasking, problems and solutions