Should museums charge for admission? Benefits and drawbacks.

dinosps9a4 1 / 3 1  
Many museums charge for admission while others are free.
Do you think the advantage of charging people for admission to museums outweigh the disadvantages?

museums and entrance fee

There is a large number of museums around the world, while some choose to charge their visitors for admission, some decided to remain free. My view is that it is more beneficial for museums to charge an entrance fee and in this essay I will explain why.

The first point to make is that there are some downsides to charing people for admission, but these are relatively minor. Firstly, the museum might have fewer visitors after they start charing people. It is possible for some people to think that the exhibition they held is not worth the money. On top of that, if the museum is free to enter, visitor are more likely to be willing to go to the same exhibition more than once. Secondly, if the purpose of a museum is to educate the public, it is considered to be accessible by everyone in the society. By requiring an entrance fee, it may become difficult for poor people to have a chance of going into the museum.

When we turn to the other side of the argument, there are also some points to make. Considering any museum needs money to run properly, an extra income will help holding exhibitions with better quality. With sufficient funds, the museum will also be able to hire more employees to maintain the space, set up exhibitions, or even do a public tour. The other point is that when money is charged, visitors tend to focus more on the experience they are having inside the museum, not taking it for granted. It is undeniable that some people go into the museum just to avoid the bad weather outside.

In conclusion, I understand the point of view of people who think museums should not charge any entrance fee. However, it is outweighed by the positive impact of charing visitor for admission.
Anna, your opening statement lacks a clear outline in relation to the upcoming discussion. Your opening statement needs to make it clear, in 3-5 sentences that you support the idea that charging for admission to museums have far more advantages than disadvantages. You need to outline the discussion points to illustrate if you will first discuss the con and then the pro of the argument or vice versa. In this type of essay, you may discuss only one disadvantage and one advantage, using the 4th paragraph to support the public argument with a personal opinion and then concluding the essay with a proper summation of the presented discussion. If you notice, the argument that you presented became flawed because you said that charging for admission to the museum outweighs the disadvantages. Yet, you present 2 strong arguments for the non-charging side of the discussion while you are barely able to defend the advantages side. You used 2 different reasons to support the side that you did not agree to in the opening statement and could barely present evidence to help increase the advantage discussion you indicated in the opening statement. If you wanted to strengthen your paid museum attendance argument, you should have used a weaker line of reasoning for the free museum entrance. You did not carefully think of your response. Neither did you outline your response prior to drafting your essay. This essay is, in effect, very poorly written and would not gain a very good score in an actual setting.
baljinder 2 / 4  
@dinosps9a4
First line
There are a large......
Word Choose and decided in same sentence
And I think concluding paragraph is week. Need to rephrase your stand on this issue
OP dinosps9a4 1 / 3 1  
@baljinder
Sorry, I don't get it. Choose and decide can't be in the same sentence?
Thanks for the reply!
brayan1996 17 / 34 5  
Anna, I read the entire response and felt like there was so much more that you could say. Your response lacks cohesion and fluidity between the couple of paragraphs that you provide. Try to improve the opening as well by restructuring your ideas there.

Home / Writing Feedback / Should museums charge for admission? Benefits and drawbacks.