Should museums charge admission fees? YES

sanaqvi 6 / 12  
Some museums charge admission fees, while others don't. Do you think the advantages of such charges will outweigh the disadvantages?

Advances in technology are quickly changing human hobbies and leisure activities. Visiting historical places is not an exception and most people are losing appeal in such engagements. Therefore, whether museums should charge entry fee is a debatable question. However, it is argued that this will provide financial autonomy and museums will be able to provide more facilities to spectators.

The principal argument against introduction of entry fee is that it will discourage people to visit museums. This is because going to historical places is considered as respecting the local history and culture and regarded as a courtesy. Charging people for visiting places of historical interest will make them competitor of other leisure activities, such as going to the cinema or a concert. As customer choices are influenced with the cost they pay, inception of entry fee will adversely affect people visiting to the historical places. Therefore, there should be no charges on visiting museums.

On the other hand, charging an entry fee will make museums financially independent. In this day and age of recession when everyday governments, especially in Europe, are introducing the austerity measures, museum administration will be able to benefit from revenue generated by the entry fee. Lack of funds is causing governments to cease many public welfare and arts projects. For museums, to become self-reliant will guarantee their survival.

In addition to this, by charging entry fee, administration will be able to provide better facilities for visitors that will attract more people. For instance, installation of air-conditioner in most Asian countries will be a great relief for people visiting museums. Moreover, short excerpts dramatizing the historical significance of objects will encourage people interest. Thus, charging people for visiting museums will help the administration to equip them with better facilities.

In summation, introduction of door fee in museums has better advantages and should be considered by administration.
andrea94 3 / 9 1  
I do not know why you wrote this essay as you didn't mention it, but, if there are not conditions in length, it is a good essay. However, you should connect the sentences in a better way and try to express yourself in a clearer way.
Advances in technology are quickly changing human hobbies and leisure activities.

Advancement in technology has influenced the hobbies and leisure activities of the people of modern era.

Visiting historical places is not an exception and most people are losing appeal in such engagements. Therefore, whether museums should charge entry fee is a debatable question.

.... what's the link between these two ideas? That's not clear... Your ideas should flow in a sequence that bind one another well... I think you need another line in between to bring out the relationship between the two.

Home / Writing Feedback / Should museums charge admission fees? YES