TOEFL: Why music is so important? It's indispensable part of people's life

luckyxuan 1 / 2  
People listen to music for different reasons and at different times. Why is music important to many people? Use specific reasons and examples to support your choice.

For me, one of the greatest pleasure in life is to sit down and enjoy some great music. There is nothing better than being engrossed in a song, and it is the same for many people. Then, you may ask, why do people like me have a special favor for music?

The uplifting lyrics definitely play a key part. There will always be a particularly blue period in everybody's life and one would feel the world had turned its back on him/her. And when the company of friends and relatives fails to help, he/she turns to music. People can always find strength in illuminating lyrics. For instance, millions have been inspired by When You Believe,and, as is often the case, more than once. "There will be miracles when you believe, though hope is frail it is hard to kill. Who knows what miracles you can achieve?" These words never fail to give people hope and strength. Whenever I feel down, they appear in my diary over and over again until I can pull myself together.

Also, the beautiful melody has its share. Good melodies can always capture people's heart. And once they fall in love with the melody, there is no way to shake the music off their head. Many of my friends say that a sweet melody can always find its way into their heart and make them feel refreshed, even though they might have no idea what the lyrics are about. It is somewhat like a bird song, no words or sentences, yet just the rhythm is enough to tug at your heartstring.

Furthermore, music is sometimes associated with the past. Such music often acquires a special value for it gives us a chance to relive some fine moments of the bygone days. Every now and then, I listen to the song "Can't Take My Eyes off You" by Morten Harket. It always reminds me of my junior high school classmates and the time we spent together. I still remember that day when I first heard it. It was during school broadcasting time and everyone was feeling drowsy. Then suddenly we were greeted with the song. "I love you baby and if it is quite all right I love you baby..." Then, as if aroused by magic, everyone began to hum with it. That afternoon the whole classroom was teeming with "You are just too good to be true I can't take my eyes off you..." The song always brings back the lovely memory of all my classmates singing together and makes me feel lucky to have shared three years with them.

For many people like me, music is indispensable and part of their life. And to quote from Nietzsche, "Nothing is worth living for without music." Music adds so much luster and hope to our life.
Well, you should have opened this thread in WRITING FEEDBACK forum which is the most appropriate forum for TOEFL writing tasks. This has been transferred from ESSAYS to WRITING Feedback :)

For me, one of the greatest pleasures in life is to sit down and enjoy listening t o some great music.
Well, you mostly talk about different component of music. However, your prompt is more focused on finding out why people find music is important.
OP luckyxuan 1 / 2  
Thank you for the feedback!
eddies [Contributor] 25 / 1,208 476  
I don't think you have problem with grammatical mechanics.

It is nicer when you conclude the intro with a statement expressing your opinion very clearly.
OP luckyxuan 1 / 2  
Wow, thank you for your correction! :)
Sorry, I don't think I am capable of helping with your thread: Student's Executive Summary, for I barely know anything about financial concepts.
Abdurasul 32 / 86 4  

Well, it seems ok. In my opinion, it'd be better if you gave a background of your topic and present it clearly. Try to keep your writings reader-friendly and not confusing.

I agree with eddies. The last sentence of your introduction should express your position.

Home / Writing Feedback / TOEFL: Why music is so important? It's indispensable part of people's life