A mystic path

Rajiv 55 / 400  
What if there really are some concepts in our world which are hidden from us, as though by a veil. What this veil is may be hard to say, for it may have no purpose other than to keep these concepts hidden. Laws in science, once discovered, become facts that are not lost again. They appear obvious and simple when expressed in the correct language and in a sense are subservient to us.

What if there are laws for which there are no such steps of discovery? And the path is by nature's design, a mystery. Maybe some incantation, or a ritual might unlock them for us. Until actually revealed, the law's very existence is doubtful. As though kept by entities who easily elude our efforts to acquire it in the manner of science. Yet they may hand us the key if they are appeased in their own fashion.. though we may as easily lose the knowledge again.. and perhaps have, repeatedly.

We close our eyes and imagine there, a complete darkness. We feel yet an awareness of the things around, and a capacity to look at our thoughts - a sense of who we know ourself as, but more, just a simple sense of ourself. It is attribute-less and like a recognition. Indian philosophy calls it, Asmita. A nescience, as permanent as matter and intelligence, and the reason for our feeling ourselves as limited. Like an animal covered on birth in the material from the womb, we too struggle to free ourself from this sticky matter clinging to our limbs, covering our eyes, ears and noses.

Asmita is this veil, quite reprehensible .. though our mind did take birth in it. Now it shields us from the limitlessness of time and space, and the reality beyond, which would petrify our mind otherwise. And that alone, may be its purpose.

Thanks.
Vakax 2 / 50  
Asmita is this veil, quite reprehensible. Though our mind did take birth in it, it shields us from the limitlessness of time and space, and the reality beyond, which would petrify our mind otherwise. And that alone, may be its purpose.

An intriguing essay. Well written. I like the quality of MAYA in it even though I dont quite agree with the end.

For me, people are only limited by their ambitions(may be thats Asmita).If not for ambitions(or maybe thats the ritual) DNA, Positrons, Nucleus, Life within life would still have been hidden from us. Like a child pushing to come from darkness into light, this veil pushes us to discover by ripping it apart. So, maybe its not sheilding us, its only there to give us a nudge in the right direction - towards our accomplisments.

Good work though.Two thumbs up.
OP Rajiv 55 / 400  
Thanks Vakax.

If answers of the ultimate kind really were to be found in these things ..DNA, Positrons, Nucleus, Life within life.. people in the West would not even glance eastwards.

The Western style of study and research has been specially inviting in recent past to people from eastern cultures, because it pulled them out of the quagmire they were trapped in. Like finding a fresh foothold. You may have read Hawkin's mathematical expostions on Space and Time.. believed as the last word in astrophysics. If you did, you must have also found yourself thinking that it's just you who doesn't understand it, but this is definitely the right line of thinking. Funny how deep this conundrum is - picking something up with zeal, then turning away from it, thinking yourself limited.
OP Rajiv 55 / 400  
.. and not that, the other just didn't have the answers you were truely looking for.
OP Rajiv 55 / 400  
Thank you for the praise on the previous essay Kevin, and for pointing to the part which was unclear. I am struggling to grasp concepts even as I write.. and it is a great help to know that someone takes the effort to read and make sense of them. I would so appreciate your comments on this one.
Need a question mark in that first sentence...

What this veil is may be hard to say, for it may have no purpose other than to keep these concepts hidden.

I tend to think of it as something without a deliberate purpose. A veil is a naturally occurring phenomenon, I think. This is just the thought that comes to mind when I read that 2nd sentence.

Laws in science, once discovered, become facts that are not lost again.

yes! And once something becomes a semi-conductor, it stays a semi-conductor. :-)

Like an animal covered on birth in the material from the womb, we too struggle to free ourself from this sticky matter clinging to our limbs, covering our eyes, ears and noses.

Awesome!!

I like the ending, too.

Would you charactrize this view of existence as an optimistic one? Is it optimistic to speculate about what lies beyond the scope of our perception? Or is it neither optomistic or pessimistic? I really need to know!!
OP Rajiv 55 / 400  
I am not speculating about this anymore. It is there for me, and anyone else who will take it as the primary path.

Whether by controlling the breath, or contemplating in some serene spot, or absorbed in some physical action -- it all leads to a state of mind more powerful, focused and energizing.

A vague sense we have of things happening around when we shut our eyes, actually sharpens into a real perception. Specifics become cognizant, and the experience can be unsettling as we realize nature flowing by inevitably. The action of closing our eyes is very like the ostrich's. If we steady ourselves at that time, a new world of perception opens to us. It isn't anything created afresh, like a vision, instead it is the very same which we saw vaguely, and when sharpened a little, considered as our intellect. Now we bore into the world ..made opaque with what our eyes see.

Why are we waiting for telescopes to tell what lies beyond our perception ?

Well said! And in the past few years I have been so excited to discover the principle of "energy goes wherever you put the mind." that is how Qigong works, and it is why acupuncture works. If I use a needle to bring your energy along a meridian, it affects you.

And then meditation can be used for energy collection. If my attention is on the scenery and the people, my energy is being emitted, but if I close my eyes to meditate... meditation is one of the few activities that bring the attention inside the body, and that is why meditation works!

We put the attention on that spot where the cool air hits the center of the brain as we inhale, and the effects of meditation begin. We put the attention at the center of the lower abdomen, and it is even better!

I wanted to share that with you, because it must have been the most important thing I have learned about... maybe you already knew about this principle "energy goes where you put the mind."

nice... sounds like something from the Tao Te Ching... you can find the Tao without leaving home.

Yes, anyway... supposedly "enlightenment" is a result of energy collection. the 3rd eye "opens" when we increase the electrical charge...

You really should check out amazon.com/Qigong-Meditation-Embryonic-Yang-Jwing-Ming/dp/1 886969736 my favorite book.

Home / Writing Feedback / A mystic path