Nation's well being with a Gross National Happiness Index

isabellaclaudia 14 / 31  
Pursuit of happiness has always been a fundamental human endeavour. As Aristotle once said, 'happiness is the purpose and aim of our life'. Indeed, at the end of the day, everything that we do has the sole purpose of imbuing us with happiness. Bhutan is the first country that track its nation's well being with a Gross National Happiness Index.

A child ask her mother what is happiness, and her mother answer 'it is when i'm with you'. The perception of how to attain happiness differs from each individual. Thus, humans seek happiness in everything that surrounds them. In this aspect, advertisers take advantages of this and propagate the notion that true happiness lies in the next purchase. Advertisers bombard costumers with advertisements to establish in their minds a strong association between the accumulation of wealth possession and happiness. Thus, people are coaxed to believe that their well being and self-worth are dfined by what they drive, what they wear, and what they use.
Bhutan is the first country that tracks its nation's well being with a Gross National Happiness Index.---This is so great!

A child asks her mother, "What is happiness?" A nd her mother answers, "It is when I'm with you".

The perception of how to attain happiness differs in each individual.

In this aspect, advertisers take advantage of this and propagate the notion that true happiness lies in the next purchase.---Well said!

Advertisers bombard consumers with advertisements to establish in their minds a strong association between the accumulation of wealth possession and happiness.

Thus, people are coaxed into believing that their well being and self-worth are defined by what they drive, what they wear, and what they use.

:)
OP isabellaclaudia 14 / 31  
However, the reality is not so. Research has shown that purchasing new items has no correlation to achieving happiness as the joy from buying something is only a fleeting moment. Humans' desire to have and purchase is in fact limitless and has no foreseeable limit.

Another way to attain happiness would be from the showers of love and affection from our loved ones. As Mahatma Gandhi once said,'if im loved by my family, im rich indeed'. Our immediate environment, our friends and family, provide a haven and give us happiness that money can never buy.

As Benjamin Franklin once said,'the greatest pleasure in life is to fulfill your dream and longing', we can attain happiness from achieving our goals. Humans derive pleasure and joy from accomplishing their set goals after toils and hard work. Some classic examples would be : students achieving distinctions, workers become promoted, and children winning their games'. Although these instances might seem to be simple things for some, it is in fact the purpose of life for others.

In a nutshell, what we choose to do determine our happiness. As we are venturing in the murky landscape of adulthood, the choice is ours whether we want to just go along with life or overcome every obstacles, arrows and stones that life throws at us and change it to deride us happiness instead.
Research has shown that purchasing new items has no correlation to achieving happiness as the joy from buying something is only a fleeting moment.-------I don't think you can say "correlation to" this way. I think it should say "correlation with" instead. Also, WHAT research studies are you talking about? You cannot just say that research shows something without citing the study you are talking about. :^)

Humans' desire to have and purchase is in fact limitless and has no foreseeable limit. material things is in fact limitless.

In a nutshell, what we choose to do determines our happiness.----Do you see the small change I made? Look for the change, and you will improve your grammar! : -)

As we are venturing in the murky landscape of adulthood, the choice is ours whether we want to just go along with life or overcome every obstacle, arrow and stone that life throws at us and change it to achieve our happiness instead.-----every obstacle, stone, and arrow (use the singular nouns with the word "every")

Home / Writing Feedback / Nation's well being with a Gross National Happiness Index