IELTS - national consumer expenditure on different goods in 5 different countries in 2002

andrea23694 1 / -  
The table gives information on consumer spending on different items in five different countries in 2002.
Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant. Write at least 150 words

Percentage of national expenditure by category - 2002
Country Food/drinks/tobacco Clothing/Footwear Leisure/Education
Ireland 28.91% 6.43% 2.21%
Italy 16.36% 9% 3.20%
Spain 18.80% 6.51% 1.98%
Sweden 15.77% 5.40% 3.22%
Turkey 32.14% 6.63% 4.35%

Essay:
The table analyses the percentage of national consumer expenditure on different goods in 5 different countries in 2002.
The consumption of food, drinks and tobacco is extremely high in Turkey and Ireland; on the other hand, the Swedish expenditure on such item is lower than 16%.

Further, Italy is the country which spends more money on clothes and footwear (9%), while Sweden is again the holder of the lowest percentage.
However, when the spending on leisure and education is analysed, it is remarkable that here Sweden is not the last one, in fact it is the nation that has the second highest percentage , being overtaken only by Turkey. In fact, Spain is the country that has the lowest investments on this particular category, with only a 1.98%.

Therefore, Sweden is a land where people are not interested in futil items such as tobaccoor clothing, but only in useful ones, the ones which can improve their lives.

This is the first time I try the writing task of the IELTS, so, if you have any advise, feel free to tell me anything you want. In addition, I was wondering if it is too short or/and if I had to write different things

Thank you for your time
ah_zafari [Contributor] 40 / 672 148  
Hi,

In the introduction you should state that how many items were investigated.

At the end of the introduction you should add the general trend of the table.

Note: In writing you should write the numbers below 10 in words (Five instead of 5).

The year stated in the topic is "2002". So, the required tens is "past simple".

In the writing task 1, you should not just write about the maximum and minimum points. You should compare different results and data. The comparison should not limit to the highest and the lowest pints, but it may also encompass the similar results.

If I were you, I would allocate each paragraph for comparing different countries spending on a specific item. In this way, a reader could easily follow the essay.

For more information about the IELTS writing task 1, I strongly recommend you to study the book entitled "Preparation and Practice-Reading and Writing (Academic Module)" by : Wendy Sahanaya, Jeremy Lindeck, and Richard Stewart.

Regards
Ahmad

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS - national consumer expenditure on different goods in 5 different countries in 2002