Naturalism v Modernism - comparison essay

michaelfrye1970 9 / 21  
Had to write an essay on comparing Naturalism with Modernism . Please give any grammar corrections and content suggestions you may have.

Throughout the turn of the century in the literary world, there were several forms of writing that were successful for various reasons. Whether the impression was on the reader personally or within the authors writing the material, poems and novels of the time period were an inspiration. Each form of literature had distinct characteristics that were representative of it. While Naturalism was new to the scene and drawing significant attention, Modernism had a greater impact on American society.

Naturalism, a developed form of Realism, is a form of literature that focused on how scientific principles of detachment and objectivity can be applied to the study of human beings. While Realism focused on literary technique, Naturalism implied a sense of philosophical justification. These writers believed that people were driven and governed by their passions, instincts, and heredity. Environment was also a primary factor in the characters that were written about. Another predominant characteristic was that they were uneducated and from low-class society. Most works displayed pessimism and focused on the harsh aspects of life.

In contrast, Modernism was known for its experimentation and the revelation that knowledge is not absolute. Humans were to depend on laws and structures beyond their control as opposed to heredity and passions. Tradition was a lost concept within Modernism. Contradictions and a sense of lost community were commonplace. Philosophy was not used as a basis for stories or characters. Instead, actual objects existed, making the works more easily related to.

To reflect on the changes in society during the turn of the century, Modernism took a deep look into disruption of norms and challenges traditions. Some people initially felt that Modernism was immoral and unwholesome. Public establishments proved to Americans that the world was changing. New technologies had been introduced along with interests in cars and air travel. Modernism reflected on emotional and primitive sexual behaviors. Toward the later part of this era, Modernism had grown to be able to express all aspects of life.

While the two forms of literature have their important and justifiable points, Modernism related more closely to the ever changing society during this time in the nation's history. New experiences were being had by people all over the country. Women could vote, prohibition was being protested, and ethnic and racial groups were beginning to have a clearer understanding of each other. Major social changes were occurring and Modernism was at the forefront with its ability to challenge norms just as society was. American people used influence they received from this form of literature to transcend into new ways of life.
You might want to consider picking three or four of the main characteristics of each movement and comparing each characteristic in its own paragraph, rather than having one paragraph dedicated entirely to naturalism and another to modernism. Also, you need to rewrite your introduction, which doesn't really say anything worthwhile at all until the last sentence, and is lacking anything resembling a thesis. You might consider doing this after you have written the new body paragraphs, so that you have a basis upon which to craft a solid thesis.

Home / Writing Feedback / Naturalism v Modernism - comparison essay