Home / Writing Feedback   % width NEW!

Neo-Classical Art, White House - Essay

mandymoore 10 / 1  
"By the last quarter of the 18th century a new style "Neo- Classical Art" emerged, one that artists embraced throughout Western Europe" (Neo- Classical Art study Guide) . It "inspired by the increasing quantities of ancient art being excavated at Pompeii and Herculaneum, artists began to turn to the style and subjects of Classical antiquity, which provided a refreshing contrast to the theatricality of baroque and the artificiality of rococo" (Cunningham and Reich) . We can find varieties of examples were using this style. For example Jean Antoine Houdon and Canova was both chief sculptor of that time. Houdon even worked on the George Washington statue.

"In the past 200 years, the White House has become symbolic of the American Presidency throughout the world" (White House). Its construction began in October, 1792. One of the reasons why White House connected to the Neo-Classic style is "American Revolution turned naturally to classical architecture for their public buildings" (Cunningham and Reich). Thomas Jefferson built the White house at Pennsylvania Avenue. "While the Capitol represents the freedom and ideals of the Nation, the White House stands for the power and statesmanship of the chief executive" (White House).

I live in capital city of Mongolia. I saw some familiar image of Neo-Classic style. I think our Central library and Grey Palace built in around 18th century. So it might be Neo-Classical style. White House is magnificent historical building and home of United States America.

Work Cited

1. Mary Ann Sullivan. "Neo-Classical Art". Art History for Humanities: Published by Bluffton College 1997. bluffton.edu/~humanities/art/18c/neoclscl
2. John Pake. "The White House". Global security.Org: 27-04-2005. globalsecurity.org/wmd/facility/white-house.htm

3. Cunningham, Lawrence S.; Reich, John J. Publisher: Wadsworth Pub Co, Belmont, California, U.S.A. 2001. Culture and Values: 5th a Survey of the Humanities Alternate=9096718987

Home / Writing Feedback / Neo-Classical Art, White House - Essay