New shopping centre in your neighborhood - do you agree or not?

AngelaB 7 / 14  
Have you got any suggestions?Please, tell me. My exam will be next week.

It has recently been announced that a large shopping centre may be built in your neighbourhood. Do you support or oppose this plan? Why? Use specific reasons and details to support your answer.

Nowadays people usually spend their free time in large shopping centers. In shopping centers we can find almost everything we need such as food, clothes and sometimes entertainment as well. Many people would surely be happy if a huge shopping centre would be built in their neighbourhood. Others may argue that there are many drawbacks to take into account like traffic. The issue is controversial, but in my opinion I am convinced that there are more advantages than disadvantages in building a shopping centre near where I live in.

First, I don't have to travel in order to buy something. For instance, if my grandparents have suddenly decided visiting me and I don't have some ingredients for cooking a delicious cake, I can run in a few minutes to the shopping centre and buy them. In addition, as I said before, shopping centers may have entertainment such as cinemas as well as bowling and so on. If I want to watch a film or have fun with friends, I don't have to go to the city centre or to move. Clearly, another aspect should be considered and namely cost of travelling. I can easily save the money that I would have used for travelling around the city.

Secondly, another reason is my time-consuming. In fact, moving easily to buy what I need means more time to spend doing something that I love. For example, I can use my time reading a book on the sofa or cooking for my husband. Saving time-consuming is very important in our frenetic society and this can also affect and reduce my level of stress.

On the flip side of the coin, a big consequence is that traffic would increase meaning more acoustic pollution or contaminated air. However, I truly believe that nowadays everywhere I go is no longer safer than before. Indeed, parks and green areas in the city centre are polluted as well. So, are there places where I can breathe clean air? I would sceptically answer that there aren't. Therefore, a shopping centre in my neighbourhood would not damage this catastrophic situation more than how it is already damaged.

To sum up, while there are arguments to be made for both sides, I support this plan because building a new shopping centre has all the advantages mentioned above.
SalMon 27 / 113 10  
Dear Angela :)
Here are some of you minor mistakes :)

Well the intro is too long, you can combine simple sentences into one to make your essay more complex, hence gain more scores. It should be like this:

Nowadays people usually spend their free time in large shopping centers. In shopping centers we as they can find almost everything we neednecessary such as food, clothes and sometimes entertainment as well. While Many people would surely be happy if a huge shopping centre would be builtwas built in their neighbourhood, others may argue that there are many drawbacks to take into account like traffic . The issue is controversial, but in my opinion I am convinced that there are more advantages than disadvantages in building a shopping centre near where I live innear my home.

First, I don't have to travel in order to buy something. For instance, if my grandparents have suddenly decided visiting me and I don't have some ingredients for cooking a delicious cake, I can run in a few minutes to the shopping centre and buy them. In addition, as I said before, shopping centers may have entertainment centre such as cinemas as well asor bowling and so on(well you should not use this kind of words in your essay. It means that you are stuck here and cannot list more) . If I want to watch a film or have fun with friends, I don't have to go to the city centre or to move. Clearly, another aspect should be considered,and namely cost of travelling. I can easily save the money that I would have used for travelling around the city.

Secondly, another reason is my time-consumingA neighboring shopping mall may save my time quite a bit .. In fact, moving easily to buy what I need means more time to spend on doing something that I love. For example, I can use my time reading a book on the sofa or cooking for my husband. Saving time-consuming is very important in our frenetic society and this can also affect andeffectively reduce my level of stress.

=> Well, you have introduced too many points in para 1, while 2 has only 1. Maybe you can distribute again, making the two more equally presented. That would be better don't you think?

On the flip side of the coin, a big consequence is that traffic would increase meaning more acoustic pollution or contaminated air. However, I truly believe that nowadays everywhere I go is no longer safer than before. Indeed, parks and green areas in the city centre are polluted as well . So, are there places where I can breathe clean air? I would sceptically answer that there aren't. Therefore, a shopping centre in my neighbourhood would not damage this catastrophic situation more than how it is already damaged.

what are all the advantages? You should mention them here again, but briefly, because your conclusion is too short.
Many people would surely be happy if a huge shopping centre would be built in their neighbourhood. Others may argue that there are many drawbacks to take into account like traffic.

Well, rather than sounding too general when introducing your topic to the reader, you should have been more specific and introduce your topic in its original sense. For example -

Recently, they announced that a new shopping mall would be built in our neighborhood. Although some people have mixed feelings about this announcement, I am convinced that this development would bring us more advantages over its disadvantages.
OP AngelaB 7 / 14  
Thank you very much! Precious suggestions! I was a little bit nervous when i wrote this essay because my exam is coming and I had not strong ideas about the topic. In addition, I didn't know how to write my introduction with this "special" topic.. an announcement.

Thank you again.

Home / Writing Feedback / New shopping centre in your neighborhood - do you agree or not?