Home / Writing Feedback   % width NEW!

The New Year importance among Russians. If you're afraid of reading a lot, don't correct it. =)

svetlanakot 1 / -  
Holidays are a part of our life; the residents of every country define themselves how to celebrate one or another holiday. To define does not mean to resolve to celebrate every year in new way. We are likely to inherit holidays and the actions connected with them from our forerunners and we try to make our holidays in compliance with our reality. Despite the fact that we all live in one temporary reality, we are separated with the barriers of the countries. For example, in the United States of America the popular holidays are the Fourth of July and the Thanksgiving Day, when Russian people prefer to celebrate New Year and Victory Day. The last holidays have particular importance for Russians.

Above all, I would like to note, that New Year is a family holiday. I see an advantage that it is an occasion for a family to gather. This holiday has a wonderful tradition to give presents. More often, we get such presents that we have dreamt of for so long. Also before the holiday, we decorate New Year's tree with garlands, tinsel and toys. Some toys are passed on from generation to generation and they preserve family's stories. The whole family usually takes part in decoration. You will be given a thrill when you find your presents under the decorated New Year's tree. It's wonderful. On 31st December people prepare a festive table. There you may met the most unexpected dishes: salad with pineapple and chicken, dressed herring, meat jelly and so on. Every year the housewives try to add new dishes to the festive table. The men may visit a bathhouse where they spend several hours steaming out and drinking beer. Also, TV channels transmit the favourable soviet films. All preparations finish at 11 p.m., and family and its guests watch TV festive broadcast. They discuss the last news and wait the speech of the president. It is strange but at 11:58 the speech is pronounced and we meet New Year. We leave all good and bad things in the past to begin a new life. It looks like a ceremony that makes us happier. At 12:00 we clink glasses, shout congratulations and make a wishes. After this festive ritual people start to eat, dance and sing under the music of the TV broadcasts. Some people go out, let off fireworks, burn bengal lights and drink champagne. Sometimes adult children want to celebrate this holiday not only with family, but also with friends. Then they visit their friends or walk in the street. It's possible that I did not single out the advantages of this holiday, but telling how we celebrate New Year, I showed that the holiday brings good things which unite every family.

In spite of positive things of New Year, there are negative things. If the young people want to celebrate this holiday separately from parents, they need to look for a flat two months before New Year. It is quite difficult to find a good flat at a good price, especially if you are a schoolchild or a student. In addition, the prices grow up, when you want to buy products and presents for New Year. The shops are full of crazy people who strive for sales and discounts. Despite low prices, you spend a lot of money anyway. It is Pre-New Year shopping bustle. In the holiday, you can face a few problems. If you drink a lot of alcohol, you will feel disgustingly in the morning. It usually takes several days to restore day regimen. I have never felt a hang-over, but I saw people who had a hang-over. I need to say that it is awful. It is not the nicest thing for girl, when she come in the holiday in gorgeous attire, and their friends lead her to do tobogganing or to wallow in snow. In winter it's rarely warm in Russia. But I am sure I critically treated with the disadvantages of New year and the most part of people don't notice them.

Home / Writing Feedback / The New Year importance among Russians. If you're afraid of reading a lot, don't correct it. =)