Home / Writing Feedback   % width NEW!

IELTS: News editors are objective and have their own agendas on what to publish

Scientiana 12 / 43 10  
Topic: News editors decide what to broadcast on TV and what to print in newspapers. What factors do you think influence their decisions? Have we become used to bad news? Would it be better if more good news was reported?

These days, mass media such as televisions, radios, newspapers and the Internet has played a key role in broadcasting news and giving information about the situations around the globe. The news is usually chosen carefully by news editors before it is broadcasted on TV, radios or posted on the Internet or printed in the newspapers. There are a number of aspects that influence their decision on which news the public should be aware of.

The main factor for this decision is that the chosen news must be about new and unexpected situations, which the public are curious about. For example, a bank robbery is a rare situation that happens, so it usually attracts many people curiosity. However, some crimes such as burglary and theft happen almost all the time, thus they become uninteresting topics and news editors only publish such news once a while. In addition, news that can be used as a warning or to educate people is generally picked up in order to improve the moral or to notify people against any hazards. For instance, the news of a traffic accident caused by reckless and drunk driver is broadcasted or printed so as to warn those who are drunk and dare to drive or drive recklessly. Additionally, news of a widespread disease is a warning for people in the infected area to protect themselves from getting that disease.

It is believed that we used to get bad news such as accidents, economic crisis, disasters and crimes all the time. Although there are good news, the amount of bad news is much more than the good ones. Some people are having depression and stress due to the knowledge of bad news. However, if more good news is reported, people might be bored of them soon because everyone wants to hear or know about new situations, which are sometimes from the bad news.

To conclude, the decision of news editors what news should be chosen bases on a lot of factors. In my view, I think we have become use to bad news. If good news is reported once in a while, it will help to encourage people to be more optimistic in their life. However, good news should not be published too frequently or it will become a wearisome topic.

I welcome all feedback. Thank you in advance.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS: News editors are objective and have their own agendas on what to publish