Nomination essay (As a language enthusiast) // preservation of Language

heyhehe 1 / 1  

the indigenous languages in nepal

According to the 2011 census, Nepal has 126 castes and ethnic groups speaking as many as 123 languages. Of them, 80 languages are spoken by various indigenous communities. However, 36 indigenous languages are endangered because of their extremely small population. In this age of globalization, there is a mere possibility for indigenous languages, especially those with fewer speakers, to survive. No community wants to see a death of its culture and history, I as a linguist, cannot accept the death of a language.

The speakers of minority languages are usually obliged to live impoverished lifestyle due to financial hardships, and they are disparaged in the Nepali society because the tongue they choose symbolizes low castes. In fact, the perspective of people towards minority language has highly incited to its endangerment. For instance, Gyani Maiya Sen could not pass on her linguistic ability of Kusunda language (a language spoken by the nomadic tribes or ban rajas of western forest in Nepal) to her son and daughter because they did not want to be identified as Kusundas in the society.

English is the lingua franca of the world, and will remain so for the foreseeable future, but native languages of all other countries should not have to pay for it. With the use of English, the international link language, and Nepali, the national link language, Nepalese can involve in every socio-economic and educational transactions that happens in the country. . This situation doesnot encourage the preservation of local languages and knowledge Consequently, people do not find valuable reason to practice the language belonging to their clan. I am, in no way, implying that English is a threat to multilingualism. But fluency in English should not come at the hefty cost of deterioration of indigenous languages.

Prof.Madav Prasad Pokhrel, who spent decades for researching the vanishing Kusunda language, claims , "Documentation alone would not be enough for the protection and promotion of a language, the whole community should be uplifted to preserve and protect it". The educational system in Nepal does not provide training in indigenous languages, so the language can only be passed if it is practiced in the community or if it is spoken at home.

Language is a democratic means.The government should come up with better Language Planning and Policy which engages the whole community.For instance,schools in the terai region of Nepal,those which contain majority of tharu people,should provide opportunity to the students to practice their tongue through multilingual education..........

.......(Conclusion) I am struggling to conclude my essay.Any help would be highly appreciated
Maria - / 1,098 389  
@heyhehe
Welcome to the forum! Wishing you the best of luck in your writing endeavors. I hope this feedback sheds light on your writing!

The first paragraph is stunning to read. I find that the manner in which you had composed the writing had flown and crept into the writing perfectly. The straightforward and yet clear approach works truthfully well here.

I can observe a few minor lapses and/or issues in the second paragraph. Because of the lack of pauses, the structure appears to be a cluster of run-on sentences rather than a properly organized written work. I would suggest to shorten the sentences' length alongside taking your thoughts piece-by-piece rather than as a chunk. Minimizing these blocks of sentences go a long way.

Try to always ensure that you have appropriate punctuation, capitalization, and spacing throughout. Notably, it seems as though the further you have gone into the text (ie. the last half of your essay), the more that your formalities go astray. It surely wouldn't hurt to enhance your writing by being more straightforward with your content as much as possible. This will help you nurture your work a lot more.

You mentioned that you've struggled with composing the concluding paragraph. I think that the last paragraph you have already has potential. Try to talk more about the long-term goals that you are reaching into; and then, you may delve into a more specific approach and cap your writing with this.
OP heyhehe 1 / 1  
@Maria
Thank you maria for the response.
Can you be specific about what you have said ?
'Because of the lack of pauses, the structure appears to be a cluster of run-on sentences'
Can you improve those sentences ?
'appropriate punctuation, capitalization, and spacing throughout ' can you specify ?
That would be helpful.
Also, does my essay evoke a sense of leadership ?
Should I use the ' I ' pronoun frequently ?

Home / Writing Feedback / Nomination essay (As a language enthusiast) // preservation of Language