IELTS TASK 1: THE NUMBER OF EMPLOYEES AND FACTORIES IN ENGLAND AND WALES

amira11545 8 / 15 5  
the number of workers and manufacturing units located in England and Wales

The table below describes the number of employees and factories in England and Wales from 1851 to 1901.
Summarize the information by selecting and reporting the main features and make comparisons where relevant.
You should write at least 150 words.

The table illustrates the total number of male and female workers and number of manufacturing units located in England and Wales between 1851 and 1901.

Overall, the workforce plummeted during 50 years and male employees outnumbered female employees in most years. Besides, the number of factories fluctuated throughout the period given.

According to the table, the total number of employees reached the highest of 477100 employees in 1851, including 287100 male and 190000 female workers. In 1861, the workforce reduced to 291780 employees, which consisted of 160000 women and only 131780 men. The total number of workers significantly declined in the following years and reached its lowest of 61000 employees in 1901.

The number of factories witnessed an upward trend, starting with 225 factories in 1851, which continued to sharply increase until reaching a peak of 721 factories in the year 1881. It then started to show subsequent decreases before ending up with 600 factories in the last year of the period.

( 163 words )
I really appreciate your feedback.

rivathh 5 / 10 6  
Hello! @amira11545

Some suggestions for you.

Firstly, in the second paragraph, you can try to give more information or description.
For example, the figure for employees and factories roughly show and opposite trend. The workforce plummeted during 50 years, in which male employees outnumbered female employees in most years.On contrary, the number of factories rose dramatically from 1861 to 1871 and then fluctuated in the next three decades.

Second, in the third paragraph, the number of employees seems to decline significantly in the first decade and steadily decrease in the following years.

Finally, in the last paragraph, "continued increasing sharply" might be better than"continued to sharply increase"
"in the last year of the period." can also be put like this: "in the last ten-year period "

Good luck with your learning!
OP amira11545 8 / 15 5  
@rivathh
thank you for your feedback !

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS TASK 1: THE NUMBER OF EMPLOYEES AND FACTORIES IN ENGLAND AND WALES