Home / Research Papers   % width Posts: 2

Ocean's Pollution - Lesson 11 Essay RD--Need on all of it

ccahill07 1 / -  

Pollution and How it can Affect Ocean Life

Plastic is a very helpful invention that everyone uses in their everyday life. Plastic can hold water, food, or toys. However, plastic is not always disposed of properly. When it is dumped into the ocean or thrown into a bay then plastic is no longer helpful but it is potentially deadly.

Plastic is becoming more and more of an issue to our world's oceans. Plastic is found wrapped around animals necks and inside of animals. Most essays that relate to pollution of plastic use ethos and pathos. Pathos is the appeal to emotion. Ethos is an ethical appeal.

An emotional appeal may include images of animals that have been affected by plastic pollution. Articles that use pathos are often seen on the news because of the vast amount of people that watch the news across the country. "Plastic Oceans Foundation." Plastic Oceans. N.p., n.d. Web. 16 Apr. 2017, this article is all about how negatively plactic affect wildlife. They use images to specifically try to impact people and get them to feel sorry for the animals and ecosystems that are affected by plastic pollution.

The other type of appeal that authors and newscasters use to try to get people to use less plastic and to get them to stop dumping their waste in the ocean is ethos, or ethical appeal. Ethos is the use of an author's credibility to influence people. "A Global Tragedy for Our Oceans and Sea Life." Ocean Plastics Pollution. N.p., n.d. Web. 17 Apr. 2017, this article is written by an institution that specifically studies the effects of plastic on ocean ecosystems.

Both articles specifically focus on the overall goal of influencing people to stop dumping plastic in the ocean. The main argument that they use is the argument that plastic, if ingested by animals, can be lethal. Plastic will never stop being used by people. Recently, companies have come up with plastic alternatives.

Companies recently have noticed the impact that plastic and plastic production has on our environment so they have started to make biodegradable items. These items include cups. Spoons, and other everyday necessities used by almost everyone. If the word gets out about these products and more people convert to using these eco friendly tools then the impact that plastic has on oceans will drop drastically.

Overall, plastic has been a huge issue and it continues to be. If more people start to use eco friendly alternatives to plastic then the amount of plastic that ends up being dumped in the ocean will go down a substantial amount. Ethos and pathos play a huge role in influencing people to stop dumping plastic into oceans because nobody likes seeing poor defenseless animals in pain and dying because of things that people dump into oceans.

Works Cited:

"A Global Tragedy for Our Oceans and Sea Life." Ocean Plastics Pollution. N.p., n.d. Web. 17 Apr. 2017.
"Plastic Oceans Foundation." Plastic Oceans. N.p., n.d. Web. 16 Apr. 2017
Cassandra, your thesis statement is not clear in the opening paragraph. There is a sense of disconnection between the title you chose for your research and the actual discussion being presented. Either change your title or change your thesis statement. This is of the utmost importance in your paper because the ocean life affected by pollution discussion in your essay, which is related to your title is less than a paragraph long and requires further discussion development. I'm also unclear about the need to discuss the ethos and pathos in the essay. How does it fit in the discussion and why is it important? Additionally, your in text citations are not properly formatted as you are using the Works Cited format for it instead of the more applicable parenthetical citations format. You need to adjust that as well. Overall, this is a work in progress that needs to improve on the aforementioned points in order to enter a usable draft stage.

Home / Research Papers / Ocean's Pollution - Lesson 11 Essay RD--Need on all of it