IELTS offenders should be sent to prison, or give alternatives such as community work

navarannan 2 / 3  
Writing task 2 (an essay)
Some say all offenders should be sent to prison, other argue that there are better alternatives such as community work for those who commit minor crimes. Discuss both views and give your opinion.

Answer

Crime rate is something which has gone up over the last few years, especially atrocities against women and children. Whether the criminals should be given severe punishment such as capital punishment or they should be given a chance for rehabilitation has sparked a heated debate. Some people argue that they should be sent to prison, while some others contend that they should be given a second chance for normal life. Both the view points have advantages and disadvantages which as discussed accordingly.

Studies show that, crime against women and children are done by people with severe criminal mindset. For instance, a girl was brutally raped and murdered by a teenager in India recently. They way she was killed clearly shows that such an offence could be done by an abnormal person. Statistics also reveal that there is high chance for such a person to commit similar crimes is he or she is set free. In such cases the best way is to give capital punishment like death penalty. The person should be made to undergo a pshycological test to study his character and drastic punishments should be given accordingly. As can clearly be inferred from the given example such offenders should be put behind the bar permanently or given death punishment.

On the contrary, there are many petty crimes which are not very serious like pickpocket, which does not require severe punishment. The people who commit such crimes have a great chance of leading a normal life if they are given a smaller punishment or penalty. They can be sent to rehabilitation centres and can be given pshcological guidance like councelling where they realize their mistakes or they can be given community work. Furthermore, there is yet another case where a person commit a crime like murder for self defence. Such cases should be studied by the police ans court effectively and the person should not be given severe punishmant.

To sum up, crime is a crime but what is more important is the motive behind the crime. For serious criminal offence like rape, the culprit should be given severe punishment but for petty crimes a small punishment and a chance for rehabilitation like community work is appropriate. Depending on the nature of the crime I feel that the appropriate punishment should be given, as discussed.

Kindly give feedbacks
christyj 5 / 15  
Hai...

THE way she killed: may be typing mistake...

the prompt asked you to discuss about sending the offender to the prison or not. so in the introduction i personally don't feel you should say about capital punishment.

you can include, the positive impacts of community services for the offenders, and negative impacts of giving imprisonment.

read more essays in the similar discussions on the same topic, which just above the comment area, you will get some more points...).

Christy.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS offenders should be sent to prison, or give alternatives such as community work