Okay, "Karate Kid" is one more film that confirms my hunch -- movies suck nowadays

Mustafa1991 8 / 373 4  
Alright, I generally avoid watching movies because they're so stupidly disjointed. However, some people watch movies frequently and it so happens that my periodic reacquaintance with the drivel of hollywood came due, as the disgust from the last movie had apparently dissipated, and I allowed myself to be dragged along for the cinema experience. Now, I decided to actually partake in the experience of watching this time, so as to prove that I am not just a hater. I decided to skip the last half hour of the movie, but here is what I could deduce from the other 75%.

- Hollywood injects racist cues and messages to perpetuate stigmas against certain classes.
- The entire plotline, with the exception of spontaneous filler material, can be reliably predicted in real time, down to the nuance and detail.
- Audience laughter is the base utility of a given scenario/situation scripted, for all non-essential activities, because it is designed, and the function for which it is designed is to mask the subtle messages of ethnocentrism and the denigration of other cultures at symbolic junctures -- usually during scenes that embody culture dynamics, in a discrete manner.

- Absurd/bizarre or unexpected short term depictions (targeted to homogeneous preconceptions about norms) tend to elicit laughter; these false convivial moments are timed sporadically, and dovetailed with important characterizations of ethnic groups, implicitly concealed by the development of the storyline, which precedes secondary, sequential developments that deflect attention surreptitiously by demanding a shift in conscientious perception to the sub-plots and minor encounters that are seemingly required to understand the succession of events. The major categorizations are already assumed, and they are conditional to the periods of lessened tension, with increased 'affective' power being leveraged over the audience through pre-climactic, [emotionally arousing] spoof scenes that serve no real function to those thematic elements which are pivotal to the conflict/purpose of the movie; a secondhand concise summary would exclude these spoof scenes.

I might provide evidence in support of these analyses later, but for the time being, let it suffice that whereas before I just thought movies were formulaic/recycled and a way to alleviate boredom for some, now I am very confident that they are even sinister and exploitive of the weak relative power of some groups. In this particular movie, chinese people, blacks, and a certain moral imperative of America (Americans?) to rectify oppressive conditions are the subjects at issue.

Since this is the first and only time I have decided to construe the motifs of a movie piece, I do not know at what extent racism is fed through hollywood, but I do know that the movie "Karate Kid" is a reprehensible work of twisted machinery.
Thank you!! I can't believe there is another karate kid movie. I love Jackie Chan, though, and I love the original Karate Kid movies, but it really is getting to be too much now!

The opening of this essay is fun to read. When I start with a long sentence, I like to ease the reader's burden by ending the paragraph quickly... like.. after this:

...along for the cinema experience.
Then I would start para #2 with that next sentence. It helps the reader to fully appreciate the great first sentences.

No, nevermind, I think you were right to include it in the first paragraph. Well, I don't know, you decide.

Just an idea, not important: Now, I decided to actually partake in the experience of watching this time (no comma necessary) so as to prove that I am not just a hater. I did decide to skip the last half hour of the movie, but here is what I could deduce from the other 75%. --- nice...

... let it suffice that whereas before I just thought movies were formulaic/recycled and a way to alleviate boredom for some, now I am very confident that they are even sinister and exploitive of the weak relative power of some groups. --- ha ha well said.

I was going to stop reading essays for the rest of the morning, but then I saw this one by you and had to check it out. Thanks for sharing it! It needed to be said, ha h...

If this is something to be submitted, and not just something you wrote for fun, don't forget to capitalize Chinese.

Home / Writing Feedback / Okay, "Karate Kid" is one more film that confirms my hunch -- movies suck nowadays