IELTS writing task 2 : One could learn about another country from TV

jasonnguyen 1 / -  
Some people told that can you learn more about another country by watching television programmes and films about it than by actually visiting it.
How true is the statement? is there anything you can learn about another country by visiting it and you can not learn by watching programmes and fimls about it.

Give reasons for your answers and included any relevant examples or from your own experience.

expanding knowledge from electronic media

The answer:

In this day, most people use TV to seeking information from anything they curious about ouside their country and get more understanding. it's used to for studies or making future plan. So I totally agree with this case.

All things people learned from watching programmes and films which is very usefull with most information we seeking is good for the research and able to fill up our knowledge. Nevertheless, the information of social media like a " tip of the iceberg", and usually trick by the plenty of deceitful news, so that people neeed search carefully. However, the shows or movies are good for acquiring about culture, lifestyle, weather, and environment especially necessary for people fancy to travel overseas.

Recently, many people wih to travel simply nothing their can do if do not have times, financial, and healthy to make a real trip once. so they able to create a journey on the screen with tons of beautiful scenes onn TV and fulfill of desire at that moment. Even now, I wish to go to Sweden at once. notwithstanding " the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak", however, I will seek everything to Sweden and cautious arrangerments for this plan.

Summaries, people still learning on TV or the internet in the main means to expand knowledge and earn plethora of benefit if without have time to real experiences.
maurice0422 1 / 3 1  
Hi, @jasonnguyen

Your essay confuses me.

Maybe you want to follow this rule for a better essay:

1 - Heading. Discuss a bit of history of the subject, which is in this case, the TV ( when was it developed, what is its purpose, etc.)

2 - Advantages of TV (That's where you answer it with things you mentioned)

3 - Disadvantages of TV (Talk about the negatives sides you get from watching TV - fake news, the malicious spread of information for instance)

4 - Close and Summarize (What do we have to do in order for us to maximize everything that TV offers or provides its users)

P.S. Please also work on your grammar usage.

Hope this helps!
Nguyen, your essay is taking a totally different approach to the given discussion for several reasons. For starters, you are being asked how true the statement being presented in the original discussion is. Therefore, this is not an agree or disagree discussion. Rather, this is a "true or false" discussion. That means your thesis statement should have indicated something similar to:

I believe in the truth of this statement for a number of reasons.

By indicating that you totally agree with the statement, you have turned the essay prompt into an "extent" essay, which was not indicated in the original statement. That means, you changed the prompt discussion accidentally and you will have to be given points deductions because of it.

There is also the matter of the prompt indicating the topic as being related to how people learn about another country by watching film and TV programs rather than actually visiting it. However, your discussion in the first half shows that you are discussing anything but the topic presented. Your discussion ranged from research information for knowledge concerns, fake news, and other similar themes. However the last sentence of your second paragraph does fall into line with the given prompt. The problem, is that the overall paragraph reference does not discuss related issues due to the deviating topics you presented in the discussion.

It is good though that your next paragraph was more related to the prompt requirements so you will not receive a too significant amount of points deductions for the TA score. However, you did not represent any personal experience in the discussion in relation to the topic so you will receive more deductions for that lack of topic representation. Add that the prompt deviation and, all things considered, I do not believe that you would be able to muster enough points to get a passing score with this essay.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS writing task 2 : One could learn about another country from TV