TOEFL-- One or two close friends vs. a large number of casual acquaintances

applenjuice 2 / 3  
Do you agree or disagree? It's better to have one or two close friends than to have a large number of casual acquaintances. Minimum of 300 words. (344 words)

There is no need for me to put any emphasis on the advantage of having a large number of casual acquaintance. However, I still agree that it's better to have one or two close friends than to have a large number of casual acquaintances.

We can not deny that being a friend with someone is different from only being acquaintant. First, It's not easy to make friend with anyone. I believe friends are people who have great compatibility with each other. After two years in college I have found sometimes there is more differences between people than similarities, for we are growing in the different families and was educated in various ways. Sometimes acquaintances are just acquaintances.We spend time together but we could never be friend. So, it's much easier to have some casual acquaintances than have some close friends.

Second, close friends can easily understand each others feelings. Because of the similarity I talked before, acquaintances probably not able to understand you better than your friends. Moreover, they wouldn't even spare time to consider your feelings. Everyone play the role of acquaintance and friend at the same time. Being friendly is a good way to treat a acquaintance but way not enough for a friend. When my friend is sick, I would not only ask if he is okay like an acquaintance but do my best to make him get well as soon as possible. If my friend is going to the wrong direction in his life trail, I will try my best to pull him back, but not stand and stare like it's not of my business. And I believe my friend will do the same to me. In conclusion, a friend is a person you care about.

To me, friends are the most important people in my life second to my family. I am the kind of person who has only one or two close friends, and I am fully content that I have such nice friends. If someone exchange my friends with thousands of acquaintances, I will definitely say NO.

Thank you!!
There is no need for me to put any emphasis on the advantage of having a large number of casual acquaintance. ------- I feel that the tone of this sentence is a bit rude and abrupt. And hence it disturbs the reader's interest in reading your essay. Better say the same idea in a more polite manner;

There are many advantages in having a large number of casual acquaintance. However,...

We can not deny that being a friend with someone is different from only being an acquaintant.

After two years in college I have found sometimes there isare more differences between people than similarities, for we are growing in the different families and was educated in various ways.because we come from diverse backgrounds in respect of family and education system.
fansr0731 1 / 3  
It's better to repeat the topic with different words or sentence in tofel test instead of giving your opinion straightly.
Something like talking about general ideas about friend is also feasible.

If someone exchangesone of my best friends with thousands of acquaintances, I will definitely say NO.

Home / Writing Feedback / TOEFL-- One or two close friends vs. a large number of casual acquaintances