IELTS Task 2 - Online communication is breaking down geographical barriers and enabling people

Xuan Son 1 / -  
1. Some people think that being able to communicate with others online is breaking down geographical barriers and enabling people, who would normally never have the chance to meet, to communicate.

What are the advantages of international communication online? Are there any disadvantages to this?

(250 - 300 words)

My work:
In the modern era, the dominant of network connected devices like smartphone, i-pad and laptop is a norm in every nations around the globe. Hence, many people praise the usefulness of the ability to communicate via the Internet that those devices enable them to. So, what would be the benefits of online communication? Are there any drawbacks? Personally, I reckon that there are both gains and handicaps when meeting via the Internet which I will explain further into the essay.

First and foremost, communicating through the Internet allows the users to meet up with other anywhere and anytime. This is because of the ability of digital devices, enabling us to call or chat where the network is available. For instance, communicating via Internet has helped our community to thrive and combat contagious diseases like covid-19. Instead of working and meeting directly, people can earn their livelihoods and host meetings via the Internet. Moreover, having the capability of contacting anyone at any time can be a lifesaver in emergency. This stems from the fact that the smartphones have became everyone`s company in their daily life. Thus, calling for help is just one button away. For instance, in many situations like kidnapping, smuggling and so on, the mobile phone has been a great assistant to the police forces in the last decades.

Nevertheless, every coins have two sides and so is the online communication. It is noticeable that contacting via the internet can never reach the full potential of direct meeting since it can cause misunderstanding, uncertainty and distrust. This is because of the absence of body language and the feeling of being connected to each other. For instance, it is more likely to cause an argument when chatting online rather than talking face to face.

To conclude, communicating is a double-edged sword, it grants the users the convenient of communicating online and the capability of calling for help in dire cases. However, it can also cause hatred and misunderstanding when communicating online.

I am going to have a test soon, thank for your help.
The writer failed to keep track of his word count. There is a reason the words are capped at 30O words for this writing. There is no time to write more than that word count if he is focused on reaching a passing score for each scoring section. There is also a distinct possibility that his essay will be cutoff by the system automatically at the 300 count. If the essay submitted does not have a proper conclusion, then it recieves a failing mark.

Rhetoric has no place in the task 2 essay. The writer does not effectively create his discussion summary and their, fails to provide a clear task related opinion. Every question provided requires a summarized response in the first paragraph. What matters here is the writer's ability to deliver a succinct discussion. Do not show off just the LR aspect. That is why this is a failing test. The discussions only present ideas and examples. The actual idea development and explanation is what this essay falls short on.

There are too many examples in the essay. All of which are unrelated to one another thus affecting the C+C score in the presentation. Though the word count is more than met, these did not translate into proper discussion paragraphs. Focus less on the vocabulary and more on proper and full explanation development.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS Task 2 - Online communication is breaking down geographical barriers and enabling people