Online courses in university vs campus classes - impacts on students' learning outcomes

tonystark 1 / -  

Some universities offer online courses as an alternative to classes delivered on campus.

Do you think this is a positive or negative development?

Most universities tend to integrate technology into classroom learning and teaching so more and more online course are published in the Internet and replace the face-to face class .From my perspective, this trend has both negative and positive impacts on students' learning outcomes because of some ideas which are shown below.

On the one hand, offering online courses at university can be beneficial in several ways. Firstly, this way of learning allow students to study at home. Due to the proliferation of the Internet, a myriad of learner are able to access the online learning with the flexible learning schedules. Furthermore , lower costs and the widespread presence of the Internet offer the unlimited numbers of participants regardless of not only their financial demanding but also current living places. Hoc24h is the prime example, which yield the reasonable-priced online courses for all indigent students in Vietnam.

On the other hand, online courses are a poor substitute for traditional classes delivered at university. Without being regular-face-to-face interaction with teacher in class , this can lead to the lower learning outcome for students. During the course, they rarely make friend and compete with their virtual friend on the internet so they can feel lack of motivation and stimuli for scholastic success. Moreover, some student could be exploited by some unworthy and counterfeit online course. Because of lack of control on the quantity, some students feel sense of confusion on the suitable class ,even they can be taken advantages for the financial problem.

In conclusion, having online courses available to choose from while at university benefits students in a number of ways. However, their drawbacks in terms of decreased learning outcomes should be accounted for
Pham, this being your first post at this forum, I would like to focus first on the most common mistake that IELTS essay writing beginners always make. That is, the misunderstanding of how to approach the prompt discussions. In this essay, you are given a choice. Is this a positive OR negative development. You are not being asked if the topic is a positive AND negative development. The inclusion of the word OR indicates an alternative choice. Therefore, you are to choose only one side to discuss in the essay.

That is always the rule for these Task 2 essays unless you are dealing with a comparative or direct question essay. This topic needed to have only side of the discussion supported within 2 reasoning paragraphs. This was not supposed to become a comparison essay. Therefore, you did not properly approach the prompt requirement and should not expect to get a passing score with this type of discussion approach. Please read the other Task 2 essay samples at this forum to become better educated about the types of Task 2 essays and how the writer is expected to discuss it so that you can avoid these discussion mistakes in the future.

As of now, I will give you a pass regarding your grammar issues, which would have further pulled down the final test scores because of its effects on your GRA score. I will only begin to review your other points for correction once you have shown me that you understand how to discuss the Task 2 essay based on the prompt requirements. Once you can respond to the requirements properly, we can work on fixing your other problem points. For now, learn how to respond to the prompts first. That is what matters the most as of now.

Home / Writing Feedback / Online courses in university vs campus classes - impacts on students' learning outcomes