TOEFL essay: open discussions in class vs. lectures - any way to study is okay as long as it works

dveri 2 / 3 1  
Hello, could you please evaluate my TOEFL essay? :)

Topic: Some students prefer classes with open discussions between the professor and students and almost no lectures. Other students prefer classes with lectures and almost no discussions. Which do you prefer? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

Essay:

There are different ways to arrange classes. I prefer classes in which I can have an open discussion with my classmates and professors. There are two reasons why to me it's the best way to study: first of all, it promotes better understanding of subjects and secondly, it is more interesting. In the following essay I'll explain those reasons.

In my opinion, open discussions are better than lectures because they help students relate to subjects. When you study a topic in class, discussion requires you to think and share your opinions and experience with classmates. For example, during my classes on taxation in my classmates and I compared how different taxes affect our country's economy and our lives, and it helped me understand and remember the logic behind calculating various taxes. Moreover, open discussions help professors to immediately evaluate the students' level of understanding, identify problems and modify the lessons accordingly. This way by the time of examinations students have a better understanding of subjects.

Secondly, classes in which students and professors exchange opinions seem more interesting to me. In my university lectures aren't popular among students and nobody likes taking notes while the professor is reading a lecture. My classmates say it becomes hard to concentrate and think about what they're writing, they get tired and start dreaming instead - and I agree with them. Moreover, open discussions make me feel like my opinion on subjects matters and it encourages me to keep studying .

Overall, I believe that any way to study is okay as long as it work for you. However, for me having more open discussions and less lectures is better. It's more challenging but also more effective. Discussions make me feel connected to the subjects I'm studying, that's why I prefer them to lectures.
Not bad at all dveri. The essay is well developed and discussed. It is simple and easy to follow. It just makes a lot of sense. While there is a sentence here and there that requires some attention, I can tell you that the essay is quite informative and delivers the expectations of the prompt at a higher level than the first essay that I reviewed for you. There is a marked improvement in your writing style. Good work. However, your introduction seems to lack a restatement of the prompt. You know how important that is in a TOEFL essay. So maybe you should work harder to create a more obvious prompt restatement in your next essay? Yes, that is the only format problem that I can see with your essay at the moment.

Now for some corrections:

during my classes on taxation in , my classmates and I compared how different taxes affect our country's economy and our lives

This way by EXAM TIME students WILL have a better understanding of subjects.

In my university , lectures aren't popular

Moreover, open discussions make me feel like my opinion on subjects matters and it encourages me to keep studying .
- There seems to be a thought missing between your feeling regarding your opinion on subject matters and the encouragement you get. What exactly were you trying to say? Try to complete the thought process.

as long as it WORKS for you

However, for me , having more open discussions and l

---

The conclusion is perfect. This is one of your best essays to date :-)

Home / Writing Feedback / TOEFL essay: open discussions in class vs. lectures - any way to study is okay as long as it works