Opinion Editorial - The Rise of a Phoenix

LlamaGod 1 / 4 2  
Rhetorical Analysis assistance of my Opinion-Editorial. Nitpicking is appreciated.

Hello, I've already written my own in-depth rhetorical analysis based on how I used language given my purpose, audience, and genre. I also annotated my opinion-editorial below but would value other brief analysis from others to gain insight from different train of thoughts aside from my own. Thank you for any input, my favorite portal on the internet for sure.

The Rise of a Phoenix

Superman was never Clark Kent, Dean Cain, Christopher Reeves or any other portrayals. He doesn't even wear a cape. Meet Phoenix Jones. Every city needs someone willing to dress up in a costume and lead a city-based organization that consists of your everyday person with a willingness to stand up for what is right. "What an idiot", "Are you serious?" Oh I'm dead serious, he's everything you aren't and wish you could be - he's the reason your children can go to bed safely at night - he is... the epitome of courage.

Courage is the choice and willingness to deal with torture, pain, danger, or fear - courage is Phoenix Jones. He has stopped muggings, altercations, and car thieves dead in their tracks. Sure he's gotten his nose broken, sure he's been stabbed, and you better believe he's been hospitalized on numerous occasions. I can't even count how many times I've seen Superman in the emergency room, trying to pop his nose back into place after losing a fight to far slower, extremely intoxicated old men, no shame in that right? Every superhero has been there, just as they don't, Jones doesn't need your help with his hospital bills or your pity just because he might have had his arm broken by an old woman after publicly pointing out she shouldn't steal "an over-priced crossword puzzle book" from your neighborhood grocery store. He doesn't need your help, because his mother will pay his own bail and like a phoenix rising from the ashes he will be in new form back out on the streets again fighting and getting hospitalized for what is right.

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States ...
GIjoefan1976 2 / 10  
hmmm. Good read, unsure how you can say Superman was never Clark Kent, Dean Cain, or Christopher Reeves. as they all came before Phoenix Jones. Unless you mean the spirit or what superman stands for is more than.....
Hi Antione, upon reading your essay, I must say it is a well written and creative one. I was entertained by your way of writing, more so, to the approach that you draw in the essay.

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of Marvel Comics nor other superheroes, but then again, each of us is entitled to its own opinion. We may not be able to understand the reason behind this creation, the Superman and what not, but one thing is for sure, the creations of this marvelous stories is definitely a good addition to our exciting existence.

As mentioned, this editorial is a comprehensive one and very entertaining, it's like reading a review on this films with additional insights and opinion.

I hope to review more of your work in the future and keep up the good work.
OP LlamaGod 1 / 4 2  

--As stated previously I would appreciate any Rhetorical Analysis' on my paper. I've already went through my own analysis and have annotated the paper but would appreciate anything you may suggest as it'd be great to get more styles of thought for review on it than just my own. Thank you.

Superman was never Clark Kent, Dean Cain, Christopher Reeves or any other portrayals. He doesn't even wear a cape. Meet Phoenix Jones. Every city needs someone willing to dress up in a costume and lead a city-based organization that consists of your everyday person with a willingness to stand up for what is right. "What an idiot"...

Courage is the choice ...

... trying to pop his nose back into place after losing a fight to far slower, extremely intoxicated old men, no shame in that right? ...

He doesn't need your help , because his mother will pay his own bail ...

"I pledge allegiance ...
zohaib 2 / 4  
Learned a lot from your essay
Hi Antione, first of all, I loved reading your essay, it is very entertaining, you made me aware that essays can be a good writing piece to read when you run out of books to read, not that it's the last resort but, you definitely nailed a very informative essay here. Informative in a way that makes your readers think that hey!, this can be done and one way or another, I can make a change!

Now, when it comes to your writing techniques, obviously, you manage to come up with a good, smooth flow of ideas in the essay, you have a clear directive as to where the essay is going and you made sure that the readers are able to comprehend the idea that you are trying to convey in your essay.You even proofed read your essay, which is quiet unusual for writers here on EF, so thumbs up on that.

I believe what made your essay stand out from all there is that I didn't find from other essays, is that, the words you choose, to elaborate your ideas are very conversational, relaxed, it's not like other writing pieces where the student is trying so hard to impress the readers, they forget what they wrote the essay for.

Once again, it is a well written essay, I h[ope you continue writing and do let us know should you need further assistance.
ichanpants89 [Contributor] 16 / 777 309  
Antione, I assume that this is the revision from the previous essay that you've made. I have no further suggestion from the content because it was already good and interesting, the flow of ideas were also connected to each other. Frankly, I am a big fan of all superhero movies, either Marvel or DC, and I found this is fascinating. However, you were successfully attracted my curiosity by making me unconsciously googled this person.

With regards to your writing technique, I am just a little bit curious about what is actually the type of essay that you are working on, whether informal or a formal one. If it is a formal one, I think you need to omit all the contractions that you have made on this essay. Contractions makes your essay looks less formal. In addition, another thing is that the point of view. I am confused about the point of view of the writer, is it third person or what, because somehow you seem like talking to the reader. One more thing, regarding to quotation, direct and indirect speech, for example, "What an idiot", "Are you serious?", "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under Phoenix Jones, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all." who said all of these?

There you are Antione, I hope you can follow through my thoughts and insights about your essay. I can't wait to see your response towards my curiosity. :D
EditorPal - / 19 6  
Good afternoon, LLAMAGOD. I like the energy in your writing. You're passionate, and you care about your audience deeply. However, in a few parts, I found myself struggling to keep up. If you were to shorten your sentences, I suspect that the overall flow of your analysis will improve. Below are suggestions for addressing that and other issues. I hope you find them helpful.

opinion-editorial essay

Suggestion: Replace with op-ed article.

Crawford's purpose is to convey the idea that you don't need superpowers to make a difference in the world by fighting for what you believe is right.

Suggestion: Shorten or break these ideas into two sentences.

leaves the reader feeling that anything is possible

Suggestion: Delete that.

to the good-hearted, bold Samaritan Phoenix Jones

Suggestion: Delete one or two adjectives.

employing a unique, and attractive tone

Suggestion: Delete comma.

successful y leaves

Suggestion: Rewrite as successfully.

Jones' back-story

Suggestion: Rewrite as backstory.

further inspiring research on the subject

Suggestion: Delete phrase or rewrite.

the honorable emotions of the audience

Suggestion: Delete honorable.

that "Courage

Suggestion: Replace with lowercase c.

danger, or fear",

Suggestion: Replace or with and.

the representation that "courage is Phoenix Jones".

Suggestion: Delete phrase or rewrite. Could you please clarify your meaning here?

Crawford achieves his purpose by conveying that you don't need superpowers to stop being another bystander and make a difference in the world and challenges the reader to "Get off your couches", "and do something meaningful with your life for once".

Suggestion: Shorten or break these ideas into several sentences.

This fast-paced, short burst style of writing conveys a tone that demands the reader's interest, leaving them wondering what they can do to make a difference in society.

Suggestion: Perhaps you could cite examples of his "short burst style of writing" somewhere before this sentence.

wholesome, selfless, but vigilante style of mixed marital artist and citizen, Phoenix Jones

Suggestion: Rewrite or delete several adjectives. Here, it may help to be concise.

He capitalizes on a few examples where Jones takes action towards stopping crime even if it may wind up being detrimental to his health, leaving the reader with a feeling that you don't necessarily need money or super-powers to make a positive difference in the world through standing up for...

...what is right.

OP LlamaGod 1 / 4 2  
Wow, those are all great points. Some of those grammatical errors I didn't even notice. I'm taking everything suggested into account and am currently revising my work right now. Thank you

Home / Writing Feedback / Opinion Editorial - The Rise of a Phoenix