In my opinion there is no need for immigrants to give up their living habits abroad

fish5a4d 1 / 1 1  

Should immigrants adapt to local customs and codes of behaviour?

Nowadays, more people are migrating to other countries than ever before. In order to become integrated into society in thier adopted countries, immigrants should abandon their old ways and adapt to local customs and codes of behaviour.

Do you agree or disagree?

Over the past 50 years, more and more people have been choosing to live in other countries rather than staying in their native countries. It could be the pursuit of better and safer living environments, more job opportunities, or simply the desire of tasting what the other countries have to offer. However, the flood of immigrations has caused a lot of problems and controversy worldwide. Out of all the problems, whether immigrants should abandon their own practices and follow the adopted country's code is one of the most hot debate topic. Personally, I think there is no need for those immigrants to give up their living habits. They can still keep their own religions, and believe in what they believe, as long as it doesn't affect others and doesn't violate the adopted country's law. Nevertheless, it is important to note that immigrations should follow the adopted country's law, since they are now citizens there. Take a rather extreme case for example, in some countries, it is allowed for a man to marry many wives, while in other many countries this is illegal. If people migrate to a country that doesn't accept this system, they should abandon this practice.

However, immigration problems on this aspect can be more complicated. There are actually two kinds of immigration. One is caused by wars, political issues, or poor life conditions occuring in one's home countries. Immigrants come because of the above reasons are either minorities or have less power and resources. They are weak and , in my opinion, won't be able to influence the adopted countries' culture too much. The other type of immigrations, however, is like "investment" for rich people around the world. Nowadays, many wealthy people like to buy nationalities and migrate to other countries. Indeed, this type of immigration is the one I concern more, as these immigrants are powerful and are able to influence another country's culture, lifestyle, or even economy. For instance, Hong Kong is a popular destination for many inland Chinese to move to. Coming with their money and ambitious business minds, these wealthy people buy a lot of lands and houses in Hong Kong, and led to a fast rise in the house pricing there. Many local citizens that want to buy houses now can't afford it.

Therefore, when it comes to immigration issue, I think we should first distinguish this two different types, and then specifically focus on the immigration of more affluent ones. We should enact more laws to protect the wealthy from changing or dominating the adopted countries.
Tseng, this is an unrealistic essay writing presentation for an English language writing test. Believe me, you do not have the time to write 434 words during the actual test. You also do not follow the standard 4-5 paragraph presentation requirement for the paragraphs. There are clear sections in your presentation that obviously could have been presented as a separate paragraph. Your presentation should have a one topic per paragraph discussion format. What you did was you over discussed each paragraph because you used more than 5 sentences per paragraph and you combine various topics in one paragraph.

Your essay also deviates from the original discussion topic. There is no need for you to explain the types of immigration and its reasons. That is a prompt deviation that will cost you during the scoring process. Just stick to the topic you were provided for the discussion. Do not add not change the discussion targets. You are not writing a research paper that allows you to do that. Rather, you need to write between 4-5 simple discussion paragraphs based on the original topic.

I am pleased that you display a strong ability to discuss in the English language. This also proves to be your liability in this instance because you tended to run on and on and lose sight of the discussion topic towards the end. All you have to do is concentrate on not writing wandering essays. Write in a targeted manner based on the prompt requirements. Use that English writing ability in the proper manner in order to gain maximum scoring potential for each scoring criteria.

Look at the sample essays here and learn from them. The sample essays will be the best way for you to learn how to better present your ideas within the requirements of the prompt. You truly have the potential to score very well in this test. All you have to do is better direct your writing skills so that your writing potential will shine in the exercises and during the test itself.

Home / Writing Feedback / In my opinion there is no need for immigrants to give up their living habits abroad