Opinion about installing CCTV cameras in public places - Essay

hiennguyen0302 1 / -  

In many cities, the use of video cameras in public places is being increased in order to reduce crime.

Many people believe that installing CCTV cameras is the best way to prevent crimes from happening. To what extent do you agree or disagree?

There is often an argument that while many people consider CCTV cameras as an effective tool to eliminate illegality, others concern that they can have negative impact on people's privacy. Although it is partly true that video cameras may cause some uncomfort, my opinion is that the advantages of installing them outweigh the disadvantages.

On one hand, there are many benefits of improving security by using CCTV cameras, and cautioning others about surrounding dangers is one of them. They can warn people if there are any unusual actions or suspicious individuals nearby, so everyone can take necessary measures to prevent their properties or even their lives. Moreover, because many crimes when realizing that they are followed by these devices also have to give up their illegal thinking, a lot of dangerous cases are not permitted to happen. Another advantage of installing video cameras in public places is that they can provide accurate evidences of criminal cases, since they can record images or videos with specific dates. These cameras also play an important role in supporting police to find out and arrest culprits.

On the other hand, security cameras may bring some negative effects that need to be considered. Firstly, it is undeniable that installing these equipments in public places can immediately affect individual's privacy, regardless whether they are relevant to cases. Many people often feel uncomfortable to be observed and recorded by these devices. Besides this, setting up CCTV devices cannot completely protect people's safety as there are still some offenders successfully escaped from police. Someone also suggests other effective methods to prevent themselves including alarm bells and patrolmen, and think that using video recorders in public places is not too essential and compulsory.

In conclusion, even though using video cameras in public areas can make people feel inconvenient, my belief is that we can receive many more benefits than drawbacks from them.
This essay failed to provide a correct restatement + opinion paragraph. It has already failed the test based on 2 reasons:

- incorrect restatement
- inapplicable discussion presentation / wrong response foremat.

Let me show you your errors so that you can better understand why this is a failing essay based on the TA requirements:

Original Topic: In many cities, the use of video cameras ... in order to reduce crime.
Your Topic: There is often an argument ...effective tool to eliminate illegality
Incorrect Aspect: The reference to an argument, when the topic was not based on an argument but an idea.

Original Discussion Question: To what extent ...
Your Response: my opinion is that the advantages of installing them outweigh the disadvantages.
Incorrect Aspect: Changing the discussion from an extent response (agree or disagree) to an advantage v. disadvantage consideration. This is a clear prompt alteration that made the response format incorrect.

Result: Failing TA score

The discussion went from a single opinion defense to a comparative discussion as well. Thus creating an error in the reasoning response presentation as well. The overall essay does not have a single correct or applicable discussion consideration, presentation, or reasoning attached to it. The examiner can only score this based on a non-related response scenario, resulting in a failing task score.

Home / Writing Feedback / Opinion about installing CCTV cameras in public places - Essay