Opportunities to learn more about various aspects of life encourage people to watch movies

MarianaS 5 / 14 8  
Films can tell us a lot about the country where they were made. What have you learned about a country from watching its movies? Use specific examples and details to support your response.

Nowadays we are able to get information about a country we have never been in from a lot of various sources. One must admit that the most popular source of this kind of information is a movie. Unlike books, films allow us to get visual and, therefore, more realistic picture of a non-native country. Here are few issues you can get to know about by merely watching films created by another country.

First of all, some aspects of national legal system is although unusual but still area you may get to know better about from movies. Doubtless, legal issues are not covered in details in any movie. Nevertheless watching a film is additional to study opportunity to gain some practical legal experience that one lacks even after graduating from law school. For instance, movie "Erin Brocovich", a story based on real facts, discloses some particularities of searching for evidence within US legal system. This knowledge would be helpful predominantly for those who intend to work as a lawyer in the United States of America.

Another good thing about watching movies is opportunity to find out some national traditions through a plot of a film. Once, in childhood, I learned a lot about celebrating of Thanksgiving Day in USA. That knowledge came into my rescue when I had to prepare the presentation about national holidays in the USA for my English lesson. Moreover, as pictures are easier to memorize than textual materials, it was not a complicated task to recollect and present relevant information.

Therefore, I have avoided long and boring searches in the school library.
In a nutshell, opportunities to learn more about various aspects of life in other countries, from legal system to national holidays, encourage people to watch movies. Thus, a film is not only entertainment but also an important source of self-education.
Mariana, I believe that you should use the library comment at the start of the essay as part of your hook. After all, who would like to spend countless hours lining up at the library or reading materials about other countries when one can watch movies and learn more than books can ever offer about that country in the process?

Nowadays we are able to get information about a country we have never been in from a lot of various sources. One must admit that the most popular source of this kind of information is a movie. Unlike books, films allow us to get visual and, therefore, more realistic picture of a non-native country. Here are few issues you can get to know about by merely watching films created by another country

- You can merge the library comment into this paragraph.

- Good example and effective reasoning.But the presentation can be improved.
- "Erin Brokovich" is one perfect example of the learning argument. In 2 hours, the viewer learned about a landmark United States Supreme Court case, got to know a key legal figures and learn about their participation in the case, get involved in research work for the case, and more importantly, learned how the legal system works in the U.S. for class lawsuits. No reading material in the local library can claim to do that for any reader.

- On a personal note, I have to admit that everything I learned about the United States, its history and culture, all stem from the TV documentaries, and movies that I watched coming from the U.S. Without these sources of visual information, I would never have had a clear understanding of their Thanksgiving traditions and what July 4th Independence Day was all about. It is always easier for people to remember and understand facts that they can visualize. That is what makes these sorts of films more effective teaching vehicles.

- Nice closing statement but I feel you need to add something else to this statement to make it more effective.
OP MarianaS 5 / 14 8  
Louisa Mae, thank you very much! Your comments are, as usual, extremely useful!

Home / Writing Feedback / Opportunities to learn more about various aspects of life encourage people to watch movies