Outline-- Responses in relation to the attacks of September 11

ttc1234 4 / 6  
Hello! This is my outline i need to submit for an essay, can you help me correct it-spelling and grammar Thanks!!

In Relation The University Response: Students found following the attacks of September 11, the staff and administration at their colleges and universities immediately provided the Muslim student body with various resources and a foundation of support. Many of the universities and colleges president/ or dean arranged meetings with the Muslim students to discuss particular concerns and to reassure students that they were safe on campus.

However, other Muslim students felt oppressed in class, and inferior to other individuals, due to them constantly defending to defend their religion, and to provide an explanation to why the events on September 11th occurred---they felt they became a voice and representation for the Muslim people. Because of this they wanted to feel more support and assistance from their university.

In Relation to the Community Reaction and the Student Response: Majority of the students stated that they did not feel safe in the New York City area, compared to their college campuses. Many of them were concerned about having to take public transportation after the attacks. A female undergraduate student at Hunter College stated that Hunter College was relevantly safe, however many Muslim females were subjugated and were faced with many ignorant looks from their peers.

The data collected from this examination demonstrated that numerous of the students who conducted in this survey encountered a range of negative responses, such as: "nasty looks," verbal harassment, and two students experienced physical assault. Some of the students did not feel like a personal target, but they were worried about the well being of their family, friends and other members of the Muslim community who were victimized by discrimination, violence or racism.

Peek was also able to understand that the Muslim community did not generalize all Americans as ignorant, based on the ones who were prejudice against them, which was established by a male undergraduate student at City College.

In Relation to the Response of Family Members: The parents of the students who attended these post-secondary facilities were clearly concerned about the safety of their children. The data gathered proposed that many of the parents wanted their children to leave school for several days, while others recommended to their children to quit school for the semester.

Participants also stated they felt pressured from their family members to alter their physical appearance, exemplified by male participants whom were Muslim that were approached by their family members, to trim or shave their breads to appear less "Muslim." Female Muslim participants stated their parents wanted them to start wearing their hijab in a less "Muslim" way or to just completely stop wearing it.

Many of the students involved in this survey felt emotionally distressed after feeling the pressure from their parents and other family members who were trying to change their physical appearance, so they would not reflect the typical "Muslim" representation. The female students were truly upset when asked to remove their hijab from their family, since it was a religious statement that allowed them to express their faith in God, and to visibly display their Muslim identity.

In Relation to the Emotional Response: A vast majority of the students who participated in this assessment expressed great sadness for the people of New York City, while others discussed particular fears in terms of their futures as United States citizens. Two female undergraduate students at City College, who are both Muslim, felt insecure, regarding their futures in America, since they were worried about how other citizens would perceive them, and if they would be expected as an American.

In relation to the Role of the Media: The participants were exceptionally dissatisfied with the methods the media used to discuss the attacks on September 11th. The media coverage of Muslims, Arabs and Islam, were in fact biased and discriminatory. Several of the students chose to not blame individual people, but to hold the media accountable for any of the unfairness and intolerance Muslims experienced, following September 11th.

Prior to the attacks on September 11th, Americans were unfamiliar with the Islamic faith, resulting in them relying on the mass media to provide them with an understanding about this religion. However, the media is what shapes society, and contributes to many individuals opinions, which explains why Americans decided to view Muslims as the "enemy." Students believe and agreed on the fact that the Media portrayed a misrepresentation of Muslims and of their faith. Some of the reasons stated by the participants for their condescension for the American media were:

ˇ The misuse of the term jihad-the definition of jihad is "to struggle, strive and exert effort,"--- but the mass media defined jihad as "holy war."

ˇ Participants also questioned the infamous "Palestinian tape," which displays numerous Palestinian children celebrating after hearing about the news of the attacks on the World Trade Centre towers. Most of the participants for the survey stated that the video was several years old, and that the news channels decided to run this video to created anger and division amongst Americans.

ˇ Students were also angered by the fact that the news anchors referred to Allah as "their God," making Allah appear as a strange figure. However Allah in Arabic denotes "God."

Overall the participants were rather critical with the medias coverage regarding September 11th. They were not satisfied with how Muslims were portrayed, as they were depicted as being the "enemy," who was America's rival.

-------------

The Role of Ethnocultural Variables in Response to Terrorism, by Katrina L. Walker and Dennis Chestnut examined the events that occurred on September 11th, using an in-depth ethnocultural (gender, nationality, age and educational background) approach juxtaposed to The Reactions and Responses: Muslim Students Experiences on New York City Campuses Post/911, by Lori A. Peek that based her data collection predominately on the opinions of Muslim participants/students. Even though both examinations involved ethnocultural variables, Walker and Chestnut based the information they gathered on individual characteristics, such as gender and race, to gain a better understanding regarding the reactions of different people, concerning the attacks that occurred on September 11th. The information they received demonstrated that ethnic background; age and gender influenced fundamental explanations regarding the attack. The three issues they addressed were:

1. The influence enthnocultural variables had on Americans first reactions and current opinion, regarding the attack.

2. The influence ethnocultural variables had on individuals' perceptions' regarding the cause of terrorist attacks.

3. If there was a connection between ethnocultural variables and healthy coping mechanisms---praying, memorial events, donating to cause.

In comparison to Walker and Chestnut's examination, Peek's objectives for her study did not heavily rely on gender, racial identity, educational background and age, but mainly focused, as well as questioned the reactions Muslim students on college and university campuses in the New York City area (around the twin towers of the World Trade Center) encountered. Walker and Chestnut explored the reactions of a wide-range of ethnic backgrounds, via Peek who created a study that was targeted towards Muslim students. The issues addressed in Peeks study were:

1. Universities/Colleges support system for Muslim students on campus
2. The influence and reaction of the parents of Muslim students on their children

3. The support system Muslim students were receiving

4. To compare the responds of Muslim university students individually via, group, regarding the reaction towards the attacks.

Walker and Dennis's used a study instrument that contained 16-multiple choice and free format questions that asked for descriptions of the attacks, individuals first reaction, and perceptions regarding the attacks. It also asked to provide demographic information. It appears they chose to use a system that wasn't personal, and intimate, compared to Peek who decided to use focus groups and interviews as a method to gather data.

The method Walker and Dennis used was to focus their information on individuals who were not Muslim, to understand how the American public perceived the event on 9/11. Peek's study was more specific and technical, compared to Dennis and Walker who created a survey that was psychological-based. They were more concentrated on understanding the psychological aftermath on the non-Muslim society in America, which explains why none of their participants followed the Islamic religion or were of Arab decent. 38% of the participants were African-American, 55% Caucasian, 7% were members of other ethnic groups. In Peeks analysis majority of the participants were South Asian or Asian descent-37 students, 16 students were Arab American, and the remaining participants were of other ethnic backgrounds.

The demographics of both studies were mainly students who were presently attending a post-secondary facility. Walker and Chestnut also obtained data from church and civic group members, and individuals of the general community. Walker and Dennis had a larger group of individuals who participated in the study. They had a total of 224 participants compared to Peek that had 68 participants. In both studies majority of the participants were female--- Walker and Chestnut's study consisted of 62% of females and 38% of men, while Peek's study consisted of 50 females and 18 males. It was clear why Walker and Chestnut's study consisted of a larger amount of individuals, since they were trying to comprehend how this event affected America's society as a whole. Whereas Peek needed a large group of practicing Muslim students to understand there experiences subsequent to the attacks.

However, the final results for Walker and Chestnut proved that ethnocultual variables had little impact on how people reacted to the attacks. The only ethnocultural variables that appeared to influence individuals were ethnic background and age. Peek's study clearly highlighted the discrimination Muslims faced individually and has a community.

------------
The analysis In The Role of Ethnocultural Variables in Response to Terrorism, by Katrina L.Walker and Dennis Chestnut shared similar findings compared to study Reactions and Response: Muslim Students' Experiences on New York City Campuses Post 9/11 by Lori A. Peek. One similarity is that both studies clearly established many of the participants reacted with fear and anger regarding the attacks. In Peek's study many students who were Muslim were angered by the fact that in school they constantly had to defend their Muslim faith, and community. They were scared to take public transit and frightened for the well being of their family members, due to bigotry. In Walker and Chestnut's study, individuals responded with terror and anger. The reasons were not the same as the Muslim students to why they were scared and angry. However, both studies proved that the participants felt unsafe.

In Walker and Chestnut's study, the participants' perceptions on the attacks were primarily influenced by racial and ethnic background. They discussed religious beliefs, and immigration laws, which relates to Peek's results from her analysis that demonstrated the Muslim students faced racial tension from their peers. The results from both studies were essentially a reflection of the participant's racial and religious backgrounds. Muslim students felt that they would not be seen as an America due to the attacks. They simply felt exiled from American society. This relates to the data collected from Walker and Chestnut's study that explains whites discussed immigration laws. Both parties focused on immigration: One side wanting to be accepted amongst society, via the other that questions the laws of immigration.

In both examinations America, as well as the media was held accountable for proving false security, and false information regarding the attacks. In both studies participants clearly established that they did not feel protected by American society. It was clear majority of the participants involved in both studies felt they were betrayed by America. In Walker and Chestnut's survey, individuals felt America failed to protect its citizens from September 11, which relates to the information gathered from Peek that stated Muslim students felt portrayed from American media---- Muslim students did not feel support or protection from the public.

The individuals that participated in both studies both used coping mechanisms as a method to help overcome the attacks. The participants in Walker and Chestnuts study claimed to have suffered from nightmares, and emotional distress. Particular groups of individuals within this study stated that praying and attending memorial events helped them to control the negativity that stemmed from the attacks. Many of the Muslim students who engaged in Peek's survey also felt emotional distressed, predominately from the pressure of their parents, who tried to "Americanize" them, so they would appear less Muslim. The coping mechanism many of the Muslim students in Peeks analysis turned to was the support systems offered by university and college campuses, and each other.

In both studies the results basically demonstrated that the perceptions of the attacks stem strictly from individuals ethnic backgrounds. In Chestnut and Walker's study non-whites were more open-minded, and less judgmental in regards to Muslims, compared to whites that appeared to be influenced by racial stereotypes. They emerged as being livid towards the Muslim society, where non-whites did not see these attacks as a reflection of all Muslims. Peek also used race as a key element in her study, since most Muslims who were of South Asian decent, felt discriminated against by their peers and the American society.
purfec8gel 3 / 4  
2nd paragraph - defending to defend their religion. you could just put defending their religion.
4th paragrph- examination demonstrated that numerous of the students - take out (of the )

good word choice.
However, other Muslim students felt oppressed in class, and inferior to other individuals, due to them constantly defending to defend their religion, and to provide an explanation to why the events on September 11th occurred---they felt they became a voice and representation for the Muslim people.

Break this (above) into a few sentences, instead of one long, convoluted one.

The majority of the students stated that they did not feel safe in the...

However, the final results for Walker and Chestnut proved suggest that ethnocultual variables had little impact on how people reacted to the attacks.

Hey, this is all very good! Your coverage of the study by Walker and Chestnut, and your thorough approach; I think this will be a big success. Look at some articles on racial profiling for more ideas. Good luck!!!
Sam12345 - / 1  
September 11 conspiracy - essay ideas

I have a project to do, I have decided to do the 9/11 conspiracy. What should I and shouldn't I include, the project is 6000 words.
saichicka39 3 / 6  
Man that must be a big essay, for the general idea, try to include things about how the planes got hijacked and if other people knew about this attack. I know Wikipedia isn't accurate, but you can use use key words from Wikipedia and research it. Just type in "9/11 Conspiracy Theories, and a humongous article pop up.

Hope it helped! :-)

Home / Writing Feedback / Outline-- Responses in relation to the attacks of September 11