Paragraph 1: The advantages and disadvantages of children using technologies for leisure

quann 1 / -  

kids surrounded by highly-advanced technologies

The advent of new technologies in our life has led to changes in young children's recreational activities. In my viewpoint, adolescents spend their spare time entertaining via highly-advanced technologies that always have positives and negatives.

It is undeniable that the appearance of smart devices has brought significant benefits to teenagers. One of the main strengths is that it has a visual and engaging interface and simulations which have lively illustrations and colorful animations, so gadgets can help young adults promote imagination and creativity inside. Just with a click of the mouse or a touch on a screen, all animations, colors, sounds and video footages from television programs, or phone applications can appear before children's eyes, so it will support teenagers to imagine the world better. For specific illustration, children can see how animals move or even how rain water falls from the sky which are livelier and more vibrantly than unanimated books. Another advantage is young adult s can learn while playing. For example, younger children from 2 to 5 years old can learn about shapes, colors and the alphabets through interactive apps on smartphones which are attractive and engaging, so they can understand faster and more easily. Moreover, with teenagers from 6 to 10 years old, they can allocate time to play computer games, from that children can gain computer literacy at a young age. Digital games not only help young students relax and relieve stress after overwhelmed lessons at school but also teach them about basic computer's skills such as operating a computer or internet-connected devices, even coding or designing and using digital software. Many of these skills are essential in the era 4.0.

On the other hand, there are some drawbacks when using electronic applications. As entertaining programs and apps are extremely attractive, children are more likely to be engrossed in those pastimes and spend less time on physical and outdoor activities leading to a passive lifestyle. Instead of running or doing exercises and playing sports, young children use most of their leisure time to sit and lie on the bed in order to watch and listen to what they are interested in, as a consequence, is gradually developed, making adolescents vulnerable to obesity and diabetes. In addition, modern devices cause deterioration of eyesight, because long term exposure to blue light from digital screens is harmful for their eyes. It has led to many more young adults starting to develop nearsightedness and need to wear glasses.

To sum up, children can spend their free time relaxing by using smart devices because of its benefits above, but needing permission from their parents about the amount of time in order not to have problems about health's aspects.
The discussion topic is clearly a single opinion essay as it asks a single opinion response question: "Do you think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages? " The response requirement does not allow for a comparative response or a response that says both sides have valid points (always have positives and negatives.). It shows that the writer did not know how to properly respond to the question. There is no clear opinion provided based on the instructions and choices provided. The presented answer is not related to the task.

The response presented here is not appropriate for the discussion as it does not state a negative as a positive or vice - versa, which is the expected response format. The essay has presented a non-response to the question. It does not apply to the prompt requirements.

Home / Writing Feedback / Paragraph 1: The advantages and disadvantages of children using technologies for leisure