Parental influence and teenagers pressure to go into certain career paths

Ominous1337 3 / 5  
So for my thesis, which I have elaborated, it is "Language helps teenagers navigate their comprehension of potential career paths through parental and peer influences in addition to pre-existing expectations for gender specific careers"

For body paragraph one I want to talk about parental influence and how it pressures teens to go into certain career paths
body paragraph two would be the same idea except about peer influence and social interaction
body paragraph three is going to be about gender stereotypes (like boys stereo-typically go into math and science fields instead of girls)

BUT, I need help on deciding what I want to write about.. I was thinking for parental influence to talk about ideas directly derived from parents, and also a teen looking at their dad's profession and wanting to follow in his footsteps, etc. Perhaps reference bring your kids to work day or career day in school.

The same goes for peer influence, perhaps envy is a factor in wanting what materialistic possessions a friend has so you will be interested in their career.

I am in need of other ideas to help broaden my discussion about how parental and peer influence can pressure a teens career path choice.

Thank you very much :)
Ominous, I am a bit confused as to how you really plan to discuss your thesis. You have two opposing thesis stated here The first one indicates:

Then in a later paragraph you said:

Which is your real thesis topic? Language seems to far fetched in terms of influencing career paths in the youth. So I am assuming it is the second prompt that is correct? You need to finalize your prompt so that we can help you develop the essay outline. At this point, I have some ideas regarding both prompts that I cannot suggest because I di not want to confuse you. You need to make up your mind about your thesis first. The rest of the content will follow after you have done that.
OP Ominous1337 3 / 5  
Basically, the prompt was very vague. It was "How does language impact society?" But my professor wanted us to delve deep into a certain aspect of it, so I chose how language/communication influences teens in choosing a career path to follow.

And my three topics would be peer influence, parental influence, and gender stereotypes to back up my thesis, if that makes sense.
Ominous, I believe that you chose the wrong topic for your thesis. It will be difficult to prove that language has a direct impact upon the career choices of students and teens because the primary influence that they get from their parents and other role models is through their actions, not their language. Going with them to the office, being exposed to the work, the kids are first exposed to the actions because they do not understand what is going on even if they hear the words being spoken. So language is not the biggest influence in career choices for these kids.

Here is what I would suggest that you do. Take the thesis that your professor gave you and Google it. Look up the related topics as the search comes up and then choose your topic based upon the availability of the resource materials to you. I typed it in myself and I found a number of topics that I am sure you can choose from once you see it. Right now, the topic that you chose is not only vague, but the resource materials for it as so scarce that even a Google search does not turn up anything relating to language and career choices in teens. What it does turn up though are family and gender influence suggestions. That is why I told you that I believe you should reconsider your thesis topic :-) I hope I was able to help you out even a little bit.

Home / Writing Feedback / Parental influence and teenagers pressure to go into certain career paths