[TOEFL writing] parents should encourage their children to do their homework independently

lisalisa 1 / -  

How Parents Can Help Children Who Struggle with Homework

question: Do you agree or disagree rather than help their children do schoolwork, parents should encourage their children to do their homework independently.

In this society, the schoolwork of a child is more like a load for their parents, especially in recent years we're having social media groups with all the parents of one class. Since some teachers would post the students who didn't finish homework directly in the group, some parents would choose to help their children do schoolwork in order to avoid shame. I, however, definitely disagree with this kind of behavior due to the three reasons below.

To begin with, let them do homework themselves help the children learn to plan things independently. When children study in school, they're not only learning about math or science and etc, they also have to learn about growth, including doing things independently. Schoolwork might be just a task for some parents, though it's actually also an excellent opportunity to teach the children about independence. From knowing the homework until handling it the next day, it is the children's work to arrange when to do it and what approach would be accessed to finish it in time. If parents offer help, for example, just because time is running out the next day morning, their children might have never learned about time planning.

Additionally, it would be better for their study of further knowledge and contents. One of the importance of homework is to help students review the knowledge learned during the day. Without reviewing, students could forget the contents of the lesson quite quickly according to the forgetting curve in scientific research. Apart from reviewing, homework could also contain some previewing for the lesson the next day, which means if the children didn't do it by themselves, it's highly possible that they couldn't follow teachers in the next lesson. For instance, I had always wanted my parents to do the previewing for me since that was really boring and difficult, instead, my parents always encouraged me to do it myself. As a result, I performed well in every new lesson and the sense of pride in turn inspired me to do better.

Of course sometimes, without parents' help, they could feel frustrating when facing troublesome questions while with totally no idea in their minds. However, teaching children how to cope with situations like this would be significant in their lives. Even if it's just a small homework that may not matter a lot, it is the process of struggling form upset and finally makes it through that should be highlighted as gaining a more mature personality.

To sum up, if I believe it'll be better not to help the children with their schoolwork for their good in planning independently, further study and capability in dealing with tough situations, which are seen as some features of an outstanding student as well as a person preparing to step into the society in the future.

---Please give me some feedback about the contents or the structure, thank you very much!
There are 2 major differences between the TOEFL and IELTS tests:
1. There is no need for a prompt paraphrase, go directly to discussing your response reasons.
2. There is no need for a concluding statement. Simply close the essay without the use of "To sum up", "In conclusion". etc.

That said, I would now like to focus on your sentence structure problems. You are trying to overwrite this essay without considering the "comprehension" aspect for the reader. Being an ESL writer, the longer you make your sentences, the less clear the logic and reasoning behind it becomes. Do not write over complex sentences. Simple sentences with proper vocabulary usage will do more for you than extremely long, but error filled paragraph presentations.

Your explanation is good. It has valid reasons and supporting statements. Like I said, it is the sentence structure and vocabulary usage that eventually proved to be a problem for your presentation. Otherwise, this is still good work worthy of a somewhat passing score.
a8s287 2 / 1  
It's a good essay! Good luck for you to take the class
Cosine 3 / 5  
Hi, I found some mistakes in your essay:

To begin with, letletting them do homework themselves....

For instance, ... and difficult,. insteadNevertheless, my parents ...→The sentence would be unneccessary long and too complicated to read. Consider splitting it to two sentence.

Home / Writing Feedback / [TOEFL writing] parents should encourage their children to do their homework independently