TOEFL Parents are natural teachers

margarita 8 / 25  
Hi!
Help, please!

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Parents are the best teachers. Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

Although we have different teachers in different stages of our lives, parents teach us in every single stage of them. Unfortunately, not all parents teach the right stuff, but doubtless, parents are the best people to teach their children. They model for us, reinforce our academic knowledge and teach us the fundamental values that we can not learn from books.

During the first stage of our lives, we almost completely depend on our parents. In this stage, we are already learning from them. From here, they have started modeling for us; in fact, we learn to express ourselves, to talk, to eat, to walk, and so on, because we mimic and imitate our parents. Parents through their own behavior provide us with direction. Parents who do not act well invite their children to act in the same way. To illustrate, an alcoholic father is very likely to have an alcoholic son. Also, children of divorced parents are very likely to have broken marriages themselves.

Later on in life, children go to school to get academic knowledge. At this stage, the school's teachers play a crucial role in children's adolescent's lives. However, it is parent's job to reinforce that knowledge on them and to teach them what they can not learn from books, like discipline, respect, moral values, and attitudes, which they will carry throughout their lives. As an example, when a child has academic or social issues at school, parents are called to take in hand the problem. Schools have a team to help,psychologists, speech therapists, counselor, tutor, etc...; however, it is parent's responsibility to address the problem and help their child to go forward.

As adults, we are still learning from our parents. They share their experiences with us and give us insightful advices. Moreover, at this stage we realize and make conclusions about what they have taught us, which was positive and suitable, what our parents tried to teach us and we skipped or didn't pay attention. Therefore, we use all this knowledge and experience to rise up our children. As a mother of two sons, I have repeated a lot of things I have learned from my parents, while, I have rejected to do other things that, although I learned from them, I think they are not right or do not accommodate to the present time.

I think that parents are unique to be their children teachers. Throughout different stages of our lives we learned from them in a very natural way. They teach us how to live from the very start throughout our lives. They model for us, strength our academic knowledge and teach fundamental values Moreover, I believe that most of the time, without conscience, we act just repeating or rejecting what we have learned from them.
bilal ABUZENAH 15 / 81  
parents are the best people to teach their children...
what they have taught us..
we realized and made conclusions...
I think ???? are not right or do not accommodate...
OP margarita 8 / 25  
Li and Bilal,

Thanks very much for taking a look on my writing.
I want to clarify that I am not complaining about the corrections. I love to have them! I just want to understand in order to learn from them. I really appreciate your help. Many thanks!

Li,
Could you please explain me why should I have this sentence in past. :) "They taught us from the moment we arrived to life, they reinforced our learning from the school years, and they taught us the values that will shape later our lives". My intention was to talk in general , as a fact.

Also, when i stayed: Raising my children, I have repeated..." is because i am raising two sons, so for me is present perfect. Should i change it to future?

Bilal,

May I know what do you mean? is that the sentences in unclear?
I have repeated a lot of things I have learned from my parents, and also, I have rejected to do other things that, although I learned from them, I think are not right or do not accommodate to the present time.
bilal ABUZENAH 15 / 81  
I think you need a subject here

try to read it loud...
Poojasugandhi 18 / 35  
Hi,
I think it is better to mention any example in your essay. It would strengthen your explanation.
OP margarita 8 / 25  
Bilal, what about this sentence?

I have rejected to do other things that are not right or do not accommodate to the present time.
OP margarita 8 / 25  
Why I can not place the transition "yet" and "although I learned from them"as a clause?

I have repeated a lot of things I have learned from my parents, yet , I have rejected other things that,although I learned from them , I think are not right or do not accommodate to the present time.
You can sharpen your thesis a little. Instead of just saying how significant parents are, you can name the specific way in which they are most important. They are most important, because they interact with the child more than all other teachers. However, they are not the "best" teachers, because the best teachers are the best communicators, and parents do not always communicate well.

That is just an idea to help you give the essay more definition. I know this is for TOEFL. Here is one more correction:

Later on in life, children go to school to learn academic stuff. At this stage, the school's teachers play a crucial role in children's and adolescent lives.----> I changed it so that adolescent is used as an adjective.
rmli 7 / 10  
hi, margarita

They taught us from the moment we arrived to life, they reinforced our learning from the school years, and they taught us the values that will shape later our lives".

I think that the write should be a adulte who has grown up and finished initial school education, As the writer has the ability to write such a comment paper , So I changed to the past tense. but it is ok using present tense.

Raising my children, I have repeated..." is because i am raising two sons, so for me is present perfect. Should i change it to future?

Sorry, I just feeled the expression 'Raising my children' not so smooth , So I changed it in my case. how about this : As a mother of two son, I have repeated....

Good luck.
hitchhike 14 / 27  
don't you think academic skills or knowledge is better that akademic stuff?

positive point: you used parallel structures very well, (i like it !)
hitchhike 14 / 27  
hi,

parents teach us in every single stage of them what's the refrent of them?
They are models for us
...mimic and imitate... both have same meaning
insightful advices pieces of advice

In the first paragraph, you supported the statement of "parents are best teacher" or ignored the role of parents? (you said some negative sentences about imitiation, alcoholic father...)

Good day!
OP margarita 8 / 25  
...stage of our lives. Them refers to lives

Can I use model as a verb? I model, you model, they model.
Yes, modeling is an important strategy used by teachers as they work with young students.

I model courtesy and respect, setting a good example.
hitchhike 14 / 27  
Yes,
I made a mistake about model as verb !
sorry:(
OP margarita 8 / 25  
hitchhike, no problem, we are learners. Thanks for your thoughts on my writing.
kevin, thanks for helping us!

Home / Writing Feedback / TOEFL Parents are natural teachers