"parents can not be termed as the best teachers"

rabiamomin 1 / -  
Hi,
I have been practicing for toefl test and I have written an essay on one of the topic. Please tell me how is it.
Thanks.

QUESTION
-Do you agree or dis agree with the following statement ? Parents are the best teachers? Use specific reasons and examples to support you answer

ANSWER
It is quite true that the first lessons of one's life are learned through parents but that does not necessarily entitles the parents to be the best teachers. It would rather be more appropriate to state that parents are the first teachers in a persons life.

From teaching a child, how to walk to how to behave with others in the society, parents undoubtedly play an influential role in a person's initial years. They nurture the child to be a part of the society and some of the lessons learned from parents are carried throughout a person's life. Parents also help in decision making for their children and are their for them at all times.

Considering all that, before implying that the parents are the best teachers we must look at the other side of the picture. Parents being human beings are not flawless. Therefore, all that they teach to their children may not be the best. Children imitating their parents may not always mimic the best of things. There are households where parents are involved in heavy smoking, drinking, domestic violence, illegal activities and households with disturbed marriages. It is proven that more than 80% of the children belonging to such families are more aggressive and are viable to be involved in similar kinds of activities as their parents. Also, such households impairs a child's mental health.

Apart from that, as soon as a child passes through the initial years of life the other factors comes into play, like the society, the teachers, the friends and the other people around them. And while encountering various situations, a person learns new things. And through comparisons, he makes the decisions. So in the end, its the person himself and the experiences that he goes through teaches him the best.

Parents undoubtedly have an undeniable role to play as teachers, but that may not always be the case and there are several other factors involved in teaching. Therefore, parents can not be termed as the best teachers
From teaching a child, how to walk to how to behave with others in the society , parents undoubtedly play an influential role in a person's initial years. ----------- This sentence sounds a bit queer and does not flow properly (especially the part in red).

Therefore, all that they teach to their children may not be the best.
It is quite true that the first lessons of one's life are learned through parents but that does not necessarily entitle the parents to be the best teachers.

You used entitle in an interesting way here! I like it, but it is not really accurate.

Use the apostrophe: in a person's life.

In this kind of situation, use commas:
Parents, being human beings, are not flawless.

Here, I found a small mistake:
Apart from that, as soon as a child passes through the initial years of life the other factors come into play, like the society, the teachers, the friends and the other people around them.-----Can you find the small change I made?

Home / Writing Feedback / "parents can not be termed as the best teachers"