Parents wonder whether it is better to send their children to single-sex school than to mixed school

Duong Trach 1 / -  

single-sex schools and mixed schools

It is a well-known fact that different types of schools bring different benefits for those who study in. Regard to the question of most parents wonder whether it is much better to send their children to single-sex school than mixed school, there is a strong case to be made for the both sides of the debate.

On the one hand, single-sex education provides children with a relaxed environment and less distraction. Students of both genders do not have to worry about impressing the opposite sex and as a result, they focus more on their tutorials at school with all attention and stay clear of unnecessary misconducts. Further more, gender based on prejudices does not exist in single-sex schools so they can pursue whatever subjects they like without inhibitions. For example, girls can take part in science or chemistry class and boys can join in cookery class, which is often regarded as a subject for girls only.

On the other hand, mixed schools are beneficial for both boys and girls to learn respect by learning how to behave around the opposite sex at the early age. As a consequence, gender misconceptions will be dismissed and in the future, this may lead to a more balanced society where women can be treated as equal as men. Moreover, mixed schools prepare their students with social skills for future life where both sexes need to co-exist peacefully. Thanks to co-education, children can understand the other's perspectives on various issues. Hence, they can be more confident in expressing their own views in the presence of the opposite gender, developing a positive self-image and working better in groups. Finally, on this side of the debate, people often concern that single-sex schools don not facilitate interactions between boys and girls, which possibly lead to awkward moments at social gatherings.

Overall, it appears that the stronger argument is in favor of letting children attend mixed schools, with all the advantages of preparing for their future. Although both types of schools have merits and demerits, I still hope co-education will be promoted by teachers and parents.
The writer is responding to a different prompt question, perhaps of his own creation. The topic being referred to in relation to the foundational topic is: "Some people think that children going to single-sex schools have disadvantages later in life". This is the discussion consideration for the direct question which is : "To what extent do you agree?"

It appears that the writer was not able to fully understand the question, leading to the unrelated response and discussion paragraphs. The measured response should only relate to the disadvantage topic presented later in the original prompt. The task response requirements were not appropriately met. The writer did not meet the following scoring requirements:

- measured emotional response
- a clear single opinion
-2 paragraphs of supporting reasons in relation to the measured single opinion
- An acceptable reverse paraphrase based on the previous discussions.

Home / Writing Feedback / Parents wonder whether it is better to send their children to single-sex school than to mixed school