IELTS WRITING TASK 1: THE PASSED DRIVING TESTS RATE

hoangtran 2 / 4  
The chart shows the percentage of women and men in one Asian country who passed when they took their driving test between 1980 and 2010.

Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant.

You should spend about 20 minutes on this task.

The diagram depicts the proportion of females and males who passed their driving test in one Asian country from 1980 to 2010. As is highlighted from the bar charts, the percentage of women and men who passed their driving test is on the increase between 1980 and 2010.

Looking at the details, the proportion of driving tests passed by women commenced at approximately 50% in 1980, then improved significantly to around 70% during 2000. After that, there was a marginal decrease of nearly 5% in the year 2010.

Meanwhile, the rate of men who passed their driving test gradually increased from 1980 to 2000 and stay the same during 2010. The year 1980 recorded a steady improvement from nearly 30% to approximately 40% in 1990 and 50% in 2000. Nonetheless, whilst women experienced a downward trend between 2000 and 2010, the proportion of men who passed when they took their driving test showed a stable change.

Provide an accurate number for the images given for the comparative report. That plus the correct image identifier should open the summary information. There is no diagram in this case, only 2 bar charts. The incorrect image reference implies both a lack of English word meaning and an unfamiliarity with the task requirements. Both are score deductible.

Avoid the use of direct quotes from the given image as there will be scored as cut and paste elements, even if only a phrase or half a sentence. A cut and paste presentation is prominently seen in the summary presentation. All highlights must be reworded to avoid lower score considerations. Paraphrasing skills through comprehension must be evident in that paragraph.

Majority of the paragraphs should have a more analytical consideration. That is normally found in paragraphs of 3-5 sentences. Combined comparisons such as these do not work as well when considered against real sentence type mash-ups.

Even as I consider these errors and shortcomings of the writer, it is still a good effort. I know he can do better next time.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS WRITING TASK 1: THE PASSED DRIVING TESTS RATE