Home / Research Papers   % width Posts: 2

Peer-Review Needed for ENG102 course. Managing the Unmanageable

bristerlaura 1 / -  
Laura Johnson
Sharon Ross
ENG102
November 18, 2017

MANAGING THE UNMANAGEABLE:

Reducing the distractions from ADHD children in the classroom.
Teachers have the most important job on the planet. They create the doctors, engineers, and every other professional needed to have a happy life, and without them, society would fail. Teachers work non-stop to ensure their students get the most out of their class. They even take time out of their busy schedule to give those few students struggling the extra time they need to make sure they are successful. However, in the past few years, teachers have hit a brick wall. Some students, no matter what the teacher tries do will not listen. These students seem to do all they can to make the teacher's job impossible. They continuously distract the class. They will not stay in their seats, and they do not seem to grasp any information being taught. Teachers try all they can to help these children, but it looks like the more they work, the more these children retaliate against them. The teachers see their class start to fall apart. These one or two students have caused the entire class to struggle, and all grades begin to drop. Teachers were not trained to deal with students like this, and they are lost. When the teachers ask for help, no one seems to care (3. Anonymous). The support that is offered is not only tough to get; it does not seem to do any good (Pfiffner, Vilodas and Kaiser). The teachers are left to deal with these students alone. They feel as if they have failed as a teacher, their love for their job starts to slip, and slowly their confidence begins to decline (Gaastra, Groen and Tucha). It seems as if nothing can be done and they can see the number of doctors, engineers, and the other professions they are working for start to decline. These ADHD students have upset the educational path teachers have always prided themselves on.

ADHD or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder is one of the most common behavioral issues in students today. Currently, 5% to 7% of all students are being diagnosed with this disorder (Gaastra, Groen and Tucha). That means that in a class of 20 students, one student will have ADHD. However, even with the growing number of these students, the educational system has not made any changes or offered any assistance that helps teachers properly instruct these students. The program that is provided through the board of education does not work and only seems to make behaviors worse (Harrison, Bunford and Evans). ADHD students cause tremendous issues within the class which affects everyone involved (Gaastra, Groen and Tucha). Teachers need an effective means of alleviating problems ADHD students have, so they will absorb the required information and limit the distractions other students and the teacher must continuously withstand. The most crucial element teachers need to understand is why these students have behavioral issues (Pfiffner, Vilodas and Kaiser). Teachers need to be able to identify the psychological challenges ADHD students suffer from daily. If they do not understand the underlining problem, they will never reach these students nor improve their classroom. Additionally, there are strategies teachers can introduce into their class to assist in creating an atmosphere of student enlightenment. However, teachers are hard-working individuals who do not have the time to try different strategies. They need techniques that have been researched and are proven to work. With the proper information, teachers can improve their classrooms and mold their students into the intellectuals society needs. Students with ADHD have significant behavioral issues caused by psychological challenges that can be eliminated or limited by strategies teachers can intergrade into the class which has been scientifically tested to work.

Psychological Challenges
An essential element, teachers must know why ADHD children have issues in school. Psychology informs us that every negative, and confident, actions come from a deeper problem. In the case of ADHD students, their deeper issues come from neurological abnormalities (Yu-Feng, Yong and Chao-Zhe). Teachers must understand that students with ADHD want to participate in their classroom appropriately but, their brains will not permit them too. Neurological dysfunctions cause them to face many psychological challenges. Most classrooms aggravate their problems and cause them to behave in ways that are not appropriate. ADHD students suffer from inattentiveness which triggers them to produce elevated levels of distractions (Kofler, Rapport and Alderson). Another psychological challenge these children must bear is the constant need to move (Carbone). Hyperactivity in ADHD students is a continual issue for teachers trying to get students to focus on their studies. Lastly, impulsiveness in these children are intensified (Carbone). They cause significant hindrances within their classes by not being able to control their impulses. Teachers must understand why ADHD students exhibit behavioral issues before they can begin to mold a successful classroom.

Inattentiveness is the primary challenge children diagnosed with ADHD must overcome.(Kofler, Rapport and Alderson). The comparative study done by Kofler and his associates stated that inattention is the most significant behavioral issue reported by teachers for students with ADHD (2008). Their evaluation suggested that it is the most common obstacle for these kids, even when other problems are not present. Another study done by Ross and Randolph concluded that visual distractions are the key to inattentiveness (2014). Neurological studies verify that a child's brain with ADHD is highly susceptible to visual stimulants (Yu-Feng, Yong and Chao-Zhe). Even parents of ADHD students report that they must remove all visible distractions from the room, such as the television or toys before their child focuses on any task (Bishop & Fitzgerald). Such issues as inattentiveness also exist in any project that requires them to spend a substantial quality of time dedicated to it. The neurological makeup of the brain of an ADHD child does not allow them to stay focused on any assignment for prolonged periods of time (Yu-Feng, Yong and Chao-Zhe). They have problems with sustained attention, meaning an increase in mistakes from start to finish during any period, whether it is the entire day, during a subject, or just an activity (Smith and Segal). If teachers understand the difficulties students with ADHD have with attention, they will be more accepting of their distractions and can better aid these students with staying on track.

While inattentiveness is the most extensive problem in classrooms, it is not the only one. Students with ADHD are in a constant stimulated mode. Neurologists cannot agree on the exact brain correlation of ADHD and hyperactivity; however, it is known that some part of their abnormal brain is linked to hyperactivity (Yu-Feng, Yong and Chao-Zhe). Students with ADHD display fidgeting and out of seat behavior which tends to be sizeable distractions for teachers and other students (Carbone). These children are always overstimulation and cannot control their need to move consistently. Hyperactivity cannot be controlled by merely willing it, but thankfully, it can be addressed with medication. When children are stuck in a hyperactive state, other issues are triggered. Many students that display hyperactivity have sleeping issues, frequent breakdowns, and have problems with social connections. These sub-conditions cause even more issues within the classroom. If a hyperactive child is forced to be still for a certain amount of time, they are prone to go right to sleep and miss valuable information. Other times, students will have breakdowns in the class when they are always reprimanded for not being still when they are trying all they can. The meltdowns cause a more significant distraction in the class, and usually, everything must stop until the child regains his or her control or is exited from the course. Social connections can cause even more issues within these students because they cannot get along with most students. This is hard for a teacher to deal with, especially if group projects are needed. The teacher can simply not include the child, so they must endure the constant bickering they know will come (2. Anonymous). Once teachers understand that hyperactivity is not a forced reaction for ADHD students, they can comprehend where other issues arise. They can then accept that alterations need to be made for these children so that they can function appropriately.

Trying to manage ADHD students is one of the hardest jobs a teacher has. Just trying to control their inattentiveness and hyperactivity is enough to stress teachers out; however, there is still one central issue they must tackle. Children with ADHD have impulse issues they cannot control. These children can shout out answers, throw things in class, and there always seems to be something inappropriate coming out of their mouths (2. Anonymous). One psychologist even went as far to say, "They demand attention by talking out of turn...," (Smith and Segal). This quote shows how much ADHD is misunderstood and why its challenges, such as impulsiveness, must be recognized. Students with ADHD do not mean to act in inappropriate ways or speak tasteless words. These children have a neurological disorder, like the hyperactivity problem, that cannot be agreed upon in the medical field (Douglas). There are many hypotheses as to why ADHD causes impulsive behavior, such as the functions of the pre-frontal cortex which is abnormal, but no medical proof exists. While impulsiveness is distracting within the class, the main problems in schools are the social isolation and poor grades (Carbone). Students that are always reprimanded for issues they cannot control develop social awkwardness which can often lead to social isolation. Social isolation can then create problems with peers and even animosity towards their teachers. When children feel threatened as they do with social isolation, behavioral issues can intensify and can also become violent (Barkley, Fischer and Smallish). As with their poor grades in school, students with ADHD may create distractions to try and get out of test taking, so they will not have to feel inferior to their peers. Impulsiveness in ADHD students is not natural for anyone in the class to deal with, especially the ADHD student themselves and teachers must understand this if they are to make a difference in their rooms.

Children with ADHD must endure many challenges in school. Every day they are required to push themselves mentally just to accomplish what most people would say are an easy task. Their biggest issue is trying to limit the many distractions that are always flooding their mind and pulling them away from their responsibility. They want desperately to do well and focus on what they must do, but they are still distracted. Their inattentiveness transpires into complete class distractions, and everyone seems to be upset with them regularly. The same is for their hyperactivity. If they could just make themselves be still, they could get good grades and make everyone proud of them. They try all the time, but nothing seems to help, and the constant scolding from the teacher only makes them lose control. All their emotions flood them and are too much to handle. They just want to scream and holler to try and release all their built up of pain and sadness, but it never seems to end. When ADHD students try to control their impulses, their willpower is tested beyond control. They cannot help but shout out the answers they know. They feel so proud that they know the answer, but the teacher does not see it that way, and again they are reprimanded. Their impulsiveness causes their grades to suffer when they speed through their test without taking the time to read it correctly. They feel secluded and inferior to their peers, and they become angry and stop caring. If teachers cannot empathize with the feelings of ADHD children, they will never be able to better their classroom. The first step teachers need to make is seeing what these children hide from them. Once they understand why ADHD students act the way they do, they can then focus on which strategies need to be implemented.

The Future Results
Currently, ADHD children have been deprived the appropriate accommodations needed to succeed, and the adverse results are negatively affecting their future. Improperly teaching these children has caused their risk of dropping out of school to skyrocket. The current educational pathway shows children with ADHD have a 270% higher chance of withdrawing out of school before graduation than any their peers (Barbaresi, Katusic, and Colligan). Their dropout rate is even higher than children with severe mental disorders and even substance abuse problems (Breslau, Miller and Chung). If they are not helped, this number could grow even more as this disorder becomes the norm for students in future years. The cost of losing these students are limiting the number of professionals who could have one day changed the world. Without these students graduating, we will never know what they could have offered society if their full abilities could have been reached. Instead, 5 to 7% of the population stands of chance of being lost to the world.

The educational pathway of the children of the world determines the type of adult they will become. For ADHD children, the route is not pleasant. These kids have a higher risk than most to experience adverse outcomes in adolescence and adulthood. First, the adverse reactions they have at school gives them a 33.2 chance of dropping out before graduation (Barbaresi, Katusic and Colligan). Second, their psychological impairments affect their relationship with their families, teachers, and peers, causing them to develop low self-esteem and many times severe depression (Wehmeier M.D., Schacht Ph.D. and Barkley Ph.D.). Lastly, ADHD children are not trained on how to cope with the real world, and they can develop drug dependencies and turn to criminal actives (Barkley, Fischer and Smallish). If these children do not receive the adequate guidance, they may feel that they have no choices left but to follow these destructive paths.

Having a higher risk of dropping out of school is not the only elevated concern for children diagnosed with ADHD, they also have a higher chance than most of having low self-esteem and depression. They are taught that they are not as smart as other children because they cannot grasp what is being taught to them. (Bishop) Every day they are reminded that no matter how hard they try, they will never be able to accomplish what their peers can without effort. Children with learning disabilities are directly linked to low self-esteem and depression (Wehmeier M.D., Schacht Ph.D., and Barkley Ph.D.). Furthermore, social isolation deepens these disorders. ADHD can put a strain on all many relationships including those with family and peers. Tensions within families can cause additional feelings of sadness and can intensify problems with low self-esteem. The psychological impairments of ADHD can make connecting with their peers near impossible, and 70% of these children do not have any close friends by the third grade. Their inability to focus on their peers, their hyperactivity, and their impulsive behavior cause other children to dislike them. Children with ADHD can be overbearing in relationships and try to push themselves on others (Bishop). Their actions towards others may cause them to be a target for bullying or to become a bully themselves (Wehmeier M.D., Schacht Ph.D. and Barkley Ph.D.). Low self-esteem in children with ADHD is a common disorder that should be taken seriously. This disorder can initiate further negative behaviors and put them at a higher risk for drug use and criminal activities.

Elevated high school drop-outs and low self-esteem can put children with ADHD on a path of destructive behaviors. These children have a high possibility of developing drug addictions and participating in criminal activities during their adolescent and adult years (Barkley, Fischer and Smallish). Their uncontrolled impulsivity leads them to have an increased chance of inappropriate behavior that can seriously harm themselves or others (Wehmeier M.D., Schacht Ph.D. and Barkley Ph.D.).When transitioning into adulthood, many ADHD children cannot cope with life. Their inattentiveness makes it challenging to keep a job or remember to pay their bills. Their hyperactivity turns into restlessness and insomnia which rouses a constant irritated feeling. These feelings of not being able to support themselves with their persistent aggravated state of mind drive them to find other ways to live. When their inability to control their impulses is added to their conflicting feelings, ADHD adolescences and adults have a higher chance of turning to illegal activities and substance abuse to try and solve their problems (Barkley, Fischer and Smallish). When ADHD children are not adequately guided in life, they may turn to drugs and criminal doings as a means of living. The only way to limit these risk is to ensure these children are trained on how to deal with their psychological disorders before they ruin their lives.

High school drop-outs, low self-esteem, and drug use paired with criminal activities are the path children with ADHD are headed for if their current educational route stays how it is. These children need guidance and support if they are going to grow into successful adults. Presently, we are losing 5 to 7% of our future leaders to the streets. Drop-out rates for these kids are absurd, and instead of adding future professionals to the society, they are becoming lost to the world of crime and substance abuse. Even the children that will graduate from college will most likely develop low self-esteem, preventing them from executing their full potential. In 2015, it was reported that 3,978,497 babies were born in the United States, meaning that 198,925 to 278,495 children were born with ADHD (National Vital Statistics System). If the education system does not make adjustments, then this number will be increased to the number of individuals living off the government, spending millions of dollars on medical expenses, and adding more destructive individuals to society.

Teacher Strategies
Since the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, teacher's jobs have become extremely difficult (Harrison, Bunford and Evans). Teachers must focus on children with disabilities, such as those with ADHD. The Department of Education does not seem to care about the effects these special needs children have on other students or the teachers. When ADHD students are enrolled in regular classes teachers, who have not been appropriately trained, must try their best to help them. The Department of Education does offer some help, but the strategies they suggest require more work with little results. Teachers must waste time and energy, and then must deal with the negative feedback from their students. The study done by Judith Harrison and associates verifies that the strategies suggested by the school board have not been evaluated or validated to rate their success (586). Teachers can feel as if they are failing their children because no matter what they do, nothing helps (Gaastra, Groen and Tucha). They must just sit back and watch as their classes start to decline and even the brightest student is not testing well.

Luckily, there are many strategies teachers can implement to improve the psychological challenges ADHD students endure and strengthen their classrooms drastically. These approaches have been scientifically tested to ensure teachers will see an improvement in their classes. Each strategy addresses the central issue these children suffer with and will help not only them but everyone in the classroom. When ADHD students are confident in school, their behaviors can change considerably. Limiting distractions can allow them to focus on their assignments. Their hyperactivity can be managed by incorporating more kinesthetic learning. Lastly, their impulsiveness can be curved by setting reminders and testing children in ways that limit their anxieties the most. Some modifications may cost teachers extra time to set up and execute; however, the time they will save from distractions and breakdowns will outweigh their efforts. Teacher alterations in their class, such as classroom arrangement, intergrading more physical movements, setting up daily behavior trackers, allowing alternate testing, and concentrating on satisfactory performances, can turn a chaotic class into a fun, organized, learning environment.

Teachers can execute many strategies to reduce the inattentiveness and distractions of ADHD children. One of the most crucial techniques is the arrangement of the classroom. One scientific study compared 23 reports on task vigilance and concluded that ADHD children are off task an average of 25% of the time with the ratings from 5.11% to 47.00% (Kofler, Rapport and Alderson). This comparison also noted that these children could become distracted by small insignificant things like, "on the border of assignments," (Kofler, Rapport and Alderson). To reduce these distractions these children, need to be seated in the front of the class, away from doors, windows, and they need to face an area free of clutter with no loud colors (Carbone and Smith and Segal). This arrangement works twos ways. One, the students will no longer be distracted by their peers or what their peers are doing. Second, they are placed closer to the teacher who helps as being a constant reminder to stay on track. It would be unreasonable to request all items be removed, but teachers need to monitor their students to see what draws their attention away from their work and remove items later when children are not present. Another great technique is to arrange students in separate desk with the ADHD student in the front left or right side to limit the number of students they can have contact. If it is not possible and only tables are available, then position ADHD students with well-behaved children to give them healthy, continuous examples to follow (Carbone & Smith and Segal). Changing the arrangement of the classroom and removing distracting clutter can limit inattentiveness and distractions from ADHD students. There are other classroom changes which can be made; however, they fall under different topics, for instance, intergrading movement into the classroom.

Movement in the classroom is a must for students with ADHD. If there is room for additional seating, it is best for each ADHD student to have an extra seat available for them when they become anxious in the class (Carbone and 2. Anonymous and Smith and Segal). If the child can move to their second seat when they feel, need, but only if they can quietly move when needed, it will make a fantastic way for them to release built up hyperactivity. Another grand strategy is to allow all students to stand up quietly at their desk then they need to (Ross and Randolph). When students are permitted to stand during the day, it helps both over-stimulated and under-stimulated children. Over-stimulated children can release energy by moving, and under-stimulated children will be woken up by standing and stretching. If this causes too much commotion for the teachers, stress balls available on student's desk can help them as well (Smith and Segal & Carbone). Lastly, introducing more kinesthetic learning materials into lessons will aid ADHD students and those who grasp more material with that particular learning style (Ross and Randolph). Out of the three learning styles, ADHD students learn better by visual and kinetic. This type of movement is suitable for everyone, especially at the end of the day to keep everyone on task and engaged in their work. However, physical activities within the classroom can cause over-stimulated children lose control of their impulses when they become to excited. It is best to have additional techniques that are created just for impulsiveness, such as behavior tracking charts.

The best way to initiate self-monitoring within ADHD is the setup of a daily behavioral chart. Many schools have established token systems which are tracked consistently and distribute rewards on a weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly basis (2. Anonymous & 3. Anonymous). The idea of this type of reward system is good; however, ADHD children need short-term rewards (Harrison, Bunford and Evans). To get these children to utilize behavior trackers, they need to have daily physical rewards. When prizes are only given on a weekly or more widespread basis, ADHD children cannot connect their actions with the awards. They need daily stimulants to directly correlate with their behaviors, such as subject stickers they can receive for each subject when they do not cause a disturbance. Additionally, the rules and reward guidelines need to be posted clearly in sight of ADHD children as constant reminders (Carbone & Gaastra, Groen and Tucha). Without the rules in view, their brain will not allow them to remember their possible rewards and their impulses will take over. These same desires can flare up in extremely stressful moments for them as well, so it is a good to establish specialized testing and assignments for each ADHD child's needs.

Testing and assignments should be altered to adhere to ADHD students' specific needs. While most of them test better in a quiet area where the test can be given orally and given adequate time to answer questions, not all need this much hands-on attention (Carbone & Smith and Segal). Usually, the subject or type of assignment has a huge effect on their responses and grades. It is best for teachers to understand their special need children's problem areas and work with them to make work in school comfortable for them. Many strategies can be executed for various levels of anxiety or impulsiveness. For students with substantial anxiety issues during select subjects, creating a separated section in the classroom where they can do their work isolated from others (Carbone). Other ADHD children with high impulsive problems or hyperactivity need something that will limit their need for competition. Busy booklets of additional work they must do while others are completing test or assignments can slow done these students and help them take their time. It is also advised to have them place their papers face down on their desk instead of getting up and turning it in. Furthermore, short assignments help ADHD students stay on track, if extended work is required, they should be broken into smaller tasks (Harrison, Bunford and Evans). A small job with frequent breaks helps these children keep their focus for the entire mission instead of losing focus part way through it. It also helps these students understand what they must do without and has a high chance of limiting repeated questions. When teachers take their time and get to understand their students, they will be able to recognize the best testing and assignment adjustments they need to make for them. Every child is different, even ADHD children, and their strategies should be specially designed for them.

Teachers today must do their job and try their best to help children that they have not been adequately trained to deal with. They try to get help, but there is none available that gives enough results. Teachers may have to spend time organizing and setting up different techniques; however, these tested strategies will be worth the effort. Such procedures as arranging the classroom with ADHD students in the front of the class and eliminating clutter will limit distractions. Adding more movement to the school will calm hyperactive students down and allow them to focus on their work. Having students establish self-monitoring techniques, such as daily reward charts, are a terrific way for students to reduce their impulses. Lastly, teachers need to find out what part of their studies they struggle with the most and make alterations to fit that child best. When tests and assignments are selected for each child, their grades will improve drastically, improving their confidence and limiting their outburst in class.

Conclusion
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, or ADHD, is becoming increasingly common among children today. This neurological disorder stimulates psychological problems within children which affect many aspects of their life, including school. Untrained teachers must find ways to try to help these students or risk their entire class struggling to learn. When these students are not supported, or improper help is provided, ADHD students have severe adverse reactions. Classrooms are filled with constant distractions, out of seat behavior, inappropriate language, breakdowns, and bickering among students. Classes are no longer the fun learning environment they should be, but instead are filled with stressed-out teachers, lower overall grades, and upset students. If teachers want to improve their classrooms, it is vital that they understand why these children behave the way they do. The direct neurological path of their psychological challenges cannot be agreed upon; however, scientists have accepted that abnormalities in the brain cause them. ADHD kids suffer from inattentiveness aroused by their brain's inability to ignore distractions. They are also over-stimulated which causes them the need to move consistently. This hyperactivity makes it almost impossible for them to be still and sit quietly in their seats. Lastly, these children have impulse control problems. They cannot connect negative behavior with their consequences without a visual stimulant to help them. It has been shown that if these students do not receive the help they need to succeed in school, their future can be compromised, and their risk of damaging traits can transpire. In adolescence and adulthood, ADHD children have a higher chance of dropping out of school, developing low self-esteem and depression, and participate in criminal activities including substance abuse. To limit their destructive path, teachers can implement strategies and create a comfortable environment for everyone. To control inattention, teachers can arrange their classrooms to better benefit the ADHD students and clear clutter from their rooms. Hyperactivity can be contained by introducing kinesthetic learning into the class and allowing students to move to additional seating or stand at their desk. Impulsive issues can be regulated by adjusting assignments and tests to fit each child's unique needs. When teachers make changes to their class they can change it for the better and improve the environment, grades will improve, children will be happier, and the teachers will no longer stress.

Works Cited
Anonymous, 1. Phone Interview 31 October 2017.
Anonymous, 2. Phone Interview 30 October 2017.
Anonymous, 3. Phone Interview 3 November 2017.
Anonymous, 4. Phone Interview 3 November 2017.
Barbaresi, William J, et al. "Long-Term School Outcomes for Children with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder: A Population-Based Perspective." Journal of Developmental & Behavioral Pediatrics
Barkley, Russell A., et al. "Young adult follow-up of hyperactive children: antisocial activities and drug use." Journal of CHild Psychology and Psychiatry
Bishop, Christy. Phone Interview
Breslau, Joshua, et al. "Childhood and adolescent onset psychiatric disorders, substance use, and failure to graduate high school on time." Journal of Psychiatric Research
Carbone, Eric. "Arranging the Classroom with an Eye (And Ear) to Students with ADHD." Teaching Exceptional Children
Douglas, Cowan P. "ADHD Neurology : The Brain of Inattention, Impulsivity, and Hyperactivity." Neurology of ADHD
Fitzgerald, Patrica. Message Interview
Gaastra, Geraldina F, et al. "The Effects of Classroom Interventions on Off-Task and Disruptive Classroom Behavior in Children with Symptoms of Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder: A Meta-Analytic Review."

Harrison, Judith R, et al. "Educational Accommodations for Students With Behavioral Challenges: A Systematic Review of the Literature." Review of Educational Research
Kofler, Michael J., Mark D. Rapport and R. Matt Alderson. "Quantifying ADHD classroom inattentiveness, its moderators, and variability: a meta-analytic review." Journal of Child Psychology & Pschiatry

National Vital Statistics System. "Birth Data." 27 9 2017. Center for Disease Control and Prevention
Pfiffner, Linda J, et al. "Educational outcomes of a collaborative school-home behavioral intervention for ADHD." School Psychology Quarterly
Ross, Peter and Justus Randolph. "Differences Between Students With and Without ADHD on Task Vigilance Under Conditions of Distraction." Journal of Educational Research and Practice

Smith, Melinda and Jeanne Segal. "Teaching Students with ADHD."
Vaccaro, Brittany. Personal Interview
Wehmeier M.D., Peter M., Alexander Schacht Ph.D. and Russell A. Barkley Ph.D. "Social and Emotional Impairment in Children and Adolescents with ADHD and the Impact on Quality of Life." Journal of Adolescent Health

Yu-Feng, Zang, et al. "Altered baseline brain activity in children with ADHD revealed by resting-state functional MRI." Brain and Development
Zentall, Sydney S. "Research on the educational implications of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder." Exceptional Children

...........
ENG102 Peer Review Questions

Questions Answers
1. What does the writer do well in this essay?

2. What does the writer need to work on in this essay?

3. State the main point of this essay.

4. Does the introduction grab your attention? Does it lead smoothly to a thesis? If not, what could the writer do to improve it?

5. What is the thesis statement? Does it contain a strong opinion and specific focus? Explain.

6. Does each paragraph develop one main idea? Describe the main idea of each paragraph (five words or less for each). Does each of the topic sentences tie back to the thesis?

7. Does the writer offer evidence for the
points he or she makes in each paragraph? If so, is the evidence convincing?

8. Does the writer use transitions between paragraphs and ideas?

9. Does the conclusion briefly summarize in a fresh way the writer's main argument and then end on a memorable note (such as a quotation, thought, image, or call to action)? What is that memorable impression that the conclusion leaves?

10. Are quotations integrated smoothly? Do they flow with the grammar of the sentence? Are all quotations cited correctly?

11. Is there a Works Cited page reflecting each author quoted in the body of the essay? Are the entries of the Works Cited page in correct MLA format? Are they alphabetized? Does each entry have all the necessary citation information? Does the Works Cited section appear on its own page?

12. Is the essay formatted correctly
(margins, font, spacing, etc.)? If not, what needs to be corrected?

13. Does the essay have a creative title that describes the purpose/point of the paper in a catchy, clear way?

14. Are there grammar and spelling errors in the essay? Reviewers can mark up the essay itself in lieu of providing details here.

15. If you were writing this essay, what would you do differently? Why?
Laura, as the questions above are meant for peer review responses from your classmates, I will refrain from answering those and instead, give you an opinion of the work that you have done. I found the introduction interesting to read, but not really connected to ADHD in reference in an immediate manner. You should try to introduce the idea of how ADHD affects the classroom performance earlier in the introduction. Right now, the opening statement makes it sound like you will just be discussing how to control a rowdy classroom instead of a child afflicted with a neurological disorder. Try to make the clear connection within the first 2 or 3 sentence instead of at the very end with a clearer explanation coming in the second paragraph. Make the case study clear from the very beginning in order to prepare the reader about the topic as soon as possible.

There is also the situation of certain paragraphs having a consistent presentation of paraphrased information. While paraphrasing is good, the consistent in-text citation makes it seem like you are not trying to deliver a personalized paper. The reliance on the paraphrase limits your ability to properly explain what you understood of the reading material. Try to add more discussions relating to examples from your experience or popular information. That way, you create an more personalized understanding and explanation of the in-text information.

The later parts of the paper indicate that you clearly understand how to deal with ADHD situations in the classroom. The problem, is that you only imply this information instead of portraying it as a personal experience. If you can relate a more personal example in reference to certain discussion points, you will have an even stronger essay presentation. Try to offer some personal opinions whenever possible. That makes it clear to the reader that you were involved in the research and its real time applications through your insights into various discussion points and situations.

Home / Research Papers / Peer-Review Needed for ENG102 course. Managing the Unmanageable