[TOEFL] People who can't accept others' criticism can't succeed in group working

alice0209 12 / 18 12  
Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?
People who can't accept others' criticism can't succeed in group working.

In everyday life we encounter different people, and we receive different opinions about us or our works, no matter positive or negative. It might be easy to take praises but hard to accept criticism. Therefore, here goes the point that people who can't accept others' criticism can't succeed in group working. Personally, I agree with this statement.

First, the core of group working is "consensus". It's the idea that everyone's opinion accounts. In group works, group members gather together to have brain-storming discussion, think over every possible solutions and then finally reach an agreement. In this long process of discussion, there must be different opinions sparkling out. It doesn't work if one member solely insists on his/her idea and doesn't take other member's criticism because the work belongs to every member, not a personal show for specific one member. It's every member's duty to respect other's opinion.

Second, taking criticism is a virtue as you take someone's opinion that is against you. Even if you are not working in a group, you still need to take others' criticism. Criticism definitely hurts because it points out your drawbacks and forces you to confront them. However, criticism can help you detect those drawbacks and fix them if you are willing to take it. Those who don't even take a word of criticism will eventually lose chances to get improved. In other words, if you can't take any criticism, not only will you fail in cooperating with other people, but also get defeated in personal works. As one Chinese idiom goes: "The good medicine tastes bitter." Criticism might be the most powerful solution to heal.

However, some people might ask: what if the criticism proves to be wrong? What if that I was at first right but the seemingly reasonable criticism led me to the wrong direction? Doesn't insistence also a good character? In my point of view, even if you are right, criticism is still helpful because in this case it not only is a fixer, but it also serves as a practice to test you how much you know about your work. Taking criticism doesn't necessary mean that you have to take it all. You should have your own judgments too! And it's kind of art to make the best use of criticism.

In conclusion, criticism is essential especially in group working but in other occasions we still need criticism. It's just like a picky mirror through which we can see the bad side of us and thus try to become more beautiful and confident.

p.s: I really care about the content of my essay. Please tell me if I made the clear point to the topic and whether my arguments and explanation are strong, thanks!!:)
Sacredhoop56 1 / 10 4  
alice0209
Your point and message were clear. Criticism and change are synonymous. Without change we stagnate and without criticism we have no reason to explore change.
In everyday life we encounter different people, and we receive different opinions about us or our works, no matter positive or negative

In our everyday life, we interact with different people who may hold very different opinions, both positive and negative, about us and our work.

It might be easy to take praises but hard to accept criticism.

... good sentence :)

Therefore, here goescomes the point that people who can't accept others' criticism can't succeed in group working.

It's the idea that everyone's opinion accounts

It's the idea that everybody's opinion is accounted for.
OP alice0209 12 / 18 12  
To Sacredhoop56 :

Criticism and change are synonymous.

It's really inspiring!!
Pahan 1 / 1,906 553  
What if that I was at first right but the seemingly reasonable criticism led me to the wrong direction?

What if I was in right direction at first and then criticism led me to take a wrong path?

... you need to have an example to support your reasoning. It is a mandatory feature for you to earn good marks at the TOEFL.

In conclusion, criticism is essential especially in group working but in other occasions we still need criticism.

In conclusion, criticism plays a very vital role in team work while it contributes positively in other cases too.

Home / Writing Feedback / [TOEFL] People who can't accept others' criticism can't succeed in group working