GRE: People's behavior is largely determined by forces not of their own making.

xatutik 12 / 29 10  
People's behavior is largely determined by forces not of their own making.
Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.

I always believed that human kind is the most complicated creature in whole earth, with different peculiarities and diverse behaviors. Therefore, one should not confidently say something about human race, because there is no such a character which can hold true for all people. Thus I can not totally agree with the claim that people's behavior is mostly shaped with external forces.

People are also considered the only spice in the earth which has an ability to make decisions based on logic. In other words we can make free choices. But what does mean "do free choice". It means making decisions ourselves, decisions which describe our behavior, since behavior is how we act and respond to some events. Decisions we make often are based on our own logic, desires, sometimes also emotions and these factors are not external they are internal forces. Especially nowadays, when in most countries the liberty of a person has reached to quite high level it is not reasonable to claim that mostly people's behavior is based on outside forces.

Unfortunately there still appear conditions where people should consider outside forces while making decisions. Sometimes to have something people undermine their own desires and oblige external forces. For example it is common when people do job they actually do not like, to earn money for living. Or they choose profession from the ones needed in their country and not the one they like. It is also commonplace when people make choices and behave considering public reaction. For example in my country you can not see many young girls in the streets, caffees or pubs in late night, because public do not accept it as a right behavior. Though there are girls who undermine public opinion and live life they prefer, but they are minority.

Though people have an opportunity to make free decisions and live their life without external influences, in some cases outside conditions influence their decisions. Sometimes huge effort is needed to overcome this influence and become free. Many are not able to do this and they make many decisions based on these influences, however there are also many who are able to behave in accordance to their own believes and ideas.
mmurray4242 1 / 8  
Instead of saying you do not fully agree (in the opening paragraph) I would more explicitly state the extent to which you do not believe it. For example maybe categorize the cases in which it is true/untrue. Does that make sense?
Ominous1337 3 / 5  
Counter-arguments help an argumentative essay greatly. Provide a counter-argument and then state your opinion as to why this counter-argument is invalid :)

Home / Writing Feedback / GRE: People's behavior is largely determined by forces not of their own making.