Are people more likely to be productive/successful when they ignore opinions?

Kokirisword 2 / 4  
Sorry for the funny title, the whole question couldn't fit in :(
Well, here is another SAT essay practice. I timed myself (25 min), and used a pencil. It was hard trying not to use "you" and things like that, so I ended up using a few. I tried to be more persuasive in the arguments, but reading back, I guess it's something I need to work on. But well, criticize away! :)

~~~~
In order to be the most productive and successful people that we are capable of being, we must be willing to ignore the opinions of others. It is only when we are completely indifferent to others' opinions of us-when we are not concerned about how others think of us-that we can achieve our most important goals.

Assignment:

Are people more likely to be productive and successful when they ignore the opinions of others? Plan and write an essay in which you develop your point of view on this issue. Support your position with reasoning and examples taken from your reading, studies, experience, or observations.

~~~~

People are not as likely to be productive and successful when they ignore the opinion of others. In the modern age, customer's comments are indispensible in improving your own product, and can potentially increase the product's success.

In order to be successful and productive, listening to other's opinion is necessary. Opinions provide criticisms and suggestions for improvements. These comments may not always be useful, but can occasionally help pointing you in the right direction. However, believing in an opinion and not get affected by people's opinions is important too.

Take a writer who is writing a series. Listening to the reader's comments can help the writer to understand how the author's writing style and choice of words are affecting the readers, but these comments might include a good idea that the author should incorporate in the series. These opinions can increase productivity and success at the same time.

Another example would be a cosmetic shop. The shop has some regular customers, who suggested that the newest line of perfume should be a little deeper. However, the shopkeeper thinks that the perfume is already too strong, and refuses to listen to the regulars. The regulars came less frequently, but the perfume was a success. In this case, not getting swayed by the customer's opinion is important as well.

In conclusion, listening to people's opinions can affect your success positively, but believing in your own opinion is important as well.
Azeri 10 / 137  
...but can occasionally help pointing you in the right direction.
...words are affecting the readers, and these comments might include...- I think conjunction and is more relevant here, since you add an idea rather that introduce contrary one.

Another example would be is a cosmetic shop. The shop has some regular customers, who suggested that the newest line of perfume should be a little deeper. However, the shopkeeper thinks that the perfume is already too strong, and refuses to listen to the regulars. The regulars come less frequently, but the perfume has a success. In this case, not getting swayed by the customer's opinion is important as well.

However, believing in an opinion and not get affected by people's opinions is important too.- why?

I would like to know whether in SAT essays it is important either to support or reject the statement or you may stay not prejudised toward any particular side?

your reasoning seemed little weak to me; you should develop you point of view not only with examples but with supporting ideas as well.
OP Kokirisword 2 / 4  
Azeri,
Thanks a lot for the suggestions. You do not need to support nor reject the statement, but you do have to have a stand backed up with a strong argument.

Home / Writing Feedback / Are people more likely to be productive/successful when they ignore opinions?