WRITING TASK 2 - MANY PEOPLE CANNOT READ OR WRITE.

hien_220495 1 / 1  

Illiteracy is still a serious problem

Nowadays, many people cannot read or write. What problems does this cause? What measures can governments take to solve these problems?

It is noticeable that people's literacy has been improved significantly since the existence of educational system. While most inhabitants are capable of reading and writing, there are still a number of residents who can not. I would argue that one principal factor is responsible for this tragedy, and many things should be done approriately to solve this issue.

From my perspectives, when people could not read or write properly, they would be more likely to have difficulties noticing and understanding their surroundings. One of the most crucial factor contributing to the illiteracy is poverty. Children, who deserve to be educated, lose the chance to go to schools if their families do not have enough money to pay for their necessities and their kids' school's fee. Consequently, many of pupils and students have to drop out of schools, to earn their livings from physical occupations. Illiteracy is unavoidable, and a community full of illiterate residents is created with lots of concerns.

There are, however, policies which national and local authorities can adopt to enhance these matters. For a start, resources should be allocated to provide basic literacy in local colleges or social and community centres to help people learn to read and write. Secondly, charity campaigns should be held to donate money to poor and remote areas so that they can pay off their daily basis and debts. This is prone to the presence of students at classes, as they will not have to work to earn their wages anymore. Finally, governments in developing countries should implement policies and strategies to ensure that everyone has the rights to pursue a basic education which enables them to broaden their knowledge.

In conclusion, although illiteracy is a serious problem, our society can curb this issue by adopting and implementing proper plans and policies, to help the illiterate read and write.

307 words

P/s: Thank you in advanced, I really appreciate all your comments.
The improvement in your TA score will solely depend upon how well you represent the requirements of the prompt restatement. These are normally 2 fold:

- Explaining the subject in your own words
- Responding to the direct questions posed when provided

So, when you write your introductory paragraph, make sure to respond directly to the questions, to help create a clear discussion and also, give you a reference point to prevent your straying from the discussion while writing your essay. Rather than implying your discussion points, give direct responses. These responses will help the examiner assess if your have proper English comprehension skills, upon which your TA score will be based. A proper response and reference to discussion points will help you increase your possible overall score that early in the scoring consideration game.

Since you are the only one writing this essay, the singular form of perspective must be used. There is only one perspective / reason being presented in the paragraph. The plural form of the word is normally used in a group reference / setting. Do not use an apostrophe when referring to the plural form of a word (kids not kids'). Learn what words have the same form of writing regardless of the singular or plural form (living).

The second reasoning paragraph, in response to the possible solution, is not well explained. There are too many topics being discussed so you ended up just providing reasons with short explanations. You should instead, be focusing on delivering one comprehensive solution, such as the government's responsibility to allot free education throughout the paragraph instead. That would create a more effective response to the question rather than several solution suggestions that do not have a clear reason for being included in the presentation.

Your conclusion is incorrect. Present a 3-5 sentence recap of the discussion topic, reason, solution, and repeated support for your solution. That is the proper format for the concluding recap.
mrtameng98 1 / 3 4  
- Line number 5: factors
- In paragraph 3, you should focus more on one outstanding solution and add more details or information to elaborate your point rather than listing so many ways to tackle the problem because it may be unconvincing and the paragraph will lack coherence.

- And the conclusion should be a bit longer, not just in a rather short sentence.
These are just my subjective comments because I'm also a language learner. Hope that my experience can help.
OP hien_220495 1 / 1  
@Holt : Wow thanks a bunch!!! I didn't realize that I had too many mistakes... I will try to improve all of them (y)
@mrtameng98 : Many thanks, hopefully I can do better in my next essay (y)

Home / Writing Feedback / WRITING TASK 2 - MANY PEOPLE CANNOT READ OR WRITE.