Why don't people take action in issues in their communities? inaction results?

fran9 1 / -  
why dont poeple take action in issues in their cummunities? what are the results of this inaction?

For some people taking action is almost impossible. William F. Buckley, Jr.'s essay "Why Don't' We Complain" and Mike Rose essay" I just wanna be Average" address important issues in American society. Both essays address why people don't complain and how their inaction affects them. People don't take action because they have fear, are ignorant and because they procrastinate when is time to take action.

People are afraid to speak up, because they don't want to deal with any problems. Buckley Jr. says "I myself can occasionally summon the courage to complain, but I cannot, as I have intimidated, complain softly" (99). Today in the world there are many things to complain about, but most people never speak up. People don't speak up in community issues, because they don't want to deal with any problems which will make them lose their time. For many of them, priorities in life are more important such as their job. They are unaware how their inaction can impact their everyday life.

Others feel embarrassment. Buckley Jr. gives an example ""conductor", I began with a considerable edge to my voice... Instantly the doleful eyes of my seatmate turned tiredly from his newspaper to fix me with a resentful stare..." (97). When people speak up or complain, and other people look at them as if they were doing something wrong. People that speak up feel embarrass, so next time they don't speak up. They fear people will look at them weird, and they prefer to stay quite as everyone else. This causes disappointment in them. They feel disappointed that even do they speak up nothing change, so this makes them think why they should speak up if their voice is not heard.

Ignorance is another reason why people don't take action in the issues that affect their community. Most people don't speak up, because they are not well inform. They don't inform themselves on what is happening in their communities. Mike Rose says "I was placed in the vocational track, a euphemism for the bottom level. Neither I nor my parents realized what this meant."(351). Most of the time people are not well inform, because they don't understand what is happening. Mike Rose parents didn't understand what this meant, and they didn't care, because their son was still going to school. Most of the time this is what happens, people don't think outside the surface. They only see the good things about it, but they never think how is this going to affect them.

A personal observation that I have seen, there are many fast food places around this area. When people see a new fast food restaurant getting build, they think that now they don't have to go that far to get some food. People don't see the consequences of this fast food places bring to the community. This restaurants increase the obesity rates on the community. People can take action, and protest against the building of these fast food places. Communities like East Los Angeles and Boyle Heights would not have all this fast food places and the obesity rate would go down. However the results of this inaction are that each year more fast food places are been construct around this communities.

People don't take action because they procrastinate. This is an enemy of any activity. They wait until is too late, and they prefer not to do anything about the issue anymore. They also hope for other individuals to do it for them. This is very common on these days, because people have the idea that they are not going make the difference. They are ignorant, because if all the people that think this way, will take action. They will make a big difference.

People are fearful and ignorant at the same time, because they are afraid of speaking up. They ignore the consequences of their inaction. People are unaware of how these issues can affect their everyday life. People procrastinate most of the time when issues come up, because most people don't want to change the way they live or interrupt their priorities.
Mayada 6 / 96  
I think that you answered the question pretty well, but you keep using the same words, such as ignorance, inactions, and people.. maybe you can add metaphors to avoid using the same terms and make it more interesting..

And you've put the page number between brackets, are you using APA citation? because it's not how you do in-text citation.. you can check out this link to show you how to cite: owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/01/
elizabeth_h1 1 / 6  
Good essay, I found some grammer errors, although I'm hardly one to talk about those. :). At any rate, I'd fix this sentance. Although I agree with it, I think that it's a bit crowded and needs to be reworked a bit. Other than that, good job.

"For some people taking action is almost impossible. William F. Buckley, Jr.'s essay "Why Don't' We Complain" and Mike Rose essay" I just wanna be Average" address important issues in American society. Both essays address why people don't complain and how their inaction affects them. People don't take action because they have fear, are ignorant and because they procrastinate when is time to take action."

Home / Writing Feedback / Why don't people take action in issues in their communities? inaction results?